Managing Money FAQs

On This Page:

Budget Revisions

  • Do the line number and/or title code fields need to be completed?

    A line number and title code are required if you are adjusting allocation at the line level.  Note that if the individual received a promotion, the line may have more than one title code associated with it.

  • Does the allocation have to balance in a budget revision?

    Yes, both annually and fiscally. IFR and SUTRA accounts may be unbalanced and require Financial Management approval for processing.

  • What does annual allocation mean on a budget revision?

    Annual allocation on a budget revision means this is a permanent move that you want to continue in subsequent years.

  • What does fiscal allocation mean on a budget revision?

    This is a temporary move and this should only apply to the current year.

  • Does eBudget have the capility to upload a large revision from an excel file?

    Yes, to learn more about this option, please contact your Unit Financial Liaison.

  • How long will it take for a budget revision to be reflected in SIRI once it has been approved in eBudget?

    Budget revision activity loads nightly from eBudget so that any budget revisions approved or in process will be reflected in SIRI the following day.  Revisions routed for approval will be displayed in your account as un-applied budget revisions in SIRI. Departmental approved Income Fund Reimbursable (IFR) revisions that are unbalanced (net increase or decrease) are routed to IFR staff for a final approval before they will be reflected as an applied budget revision in SIRI.

  • Can I budget using any object code that is displayed in SIRI?

    No, there are hundreds of objects that may be used for expenditures but budgeting is done at a higher, more summarized level.  Budgets may be established at any of the following object levels as well as at the line level for units that do line item budgeting.

  • Does the ‘Dept Revision No.’ field need to be completed?

    No, but this field is a good tracking tool for your department.

  • Does the OEC field need to be completed?

    Yes, this is a required field to ensure allocation is adjusted appropriately. For lines, this field will populate automatically once the line and title code have been entered.

Cash Deposits

  • How do I complete a cash transmittal form?

     There are detailed instructions for completing the cash transmittal form. 

  • What is this cash deposit for?

    In order to find out what a cash deposit is you can look up the source code for the deposit. If you have further questions regarding a deposit you can contact an expert.


  • How do I know if my application has been received?

    Please contact an expert and they will verify receipt of the application.

  • How will I know when my ePay link has been completed?

    You will receive an email from an ePay expert upon completion with instructions on how to activate your new link along with other useful setup information.

  • I would like to have various fees set up. Can this be done through a single ePay link?

    At this time ePay does not accept various fees through a single link.  An individual ePay link for each fee through multiple applications would have to be completed.

  • I recently have been approved for a fee increase. What should I do to make sure the fee is increased in ePay?

    Please send a copy of the approved fee documentation along with an email request to the appropriate expert to ensure that your ePay link is updated in a timely manner.

  • How long does it take to set up a new ePay link after I have submitted my application?

    The ePay link setup time varies, but typically takes between 1-2 weeks.

Expenditure Transfers

For Other than Personal Service (OTPS) Transfers

  • How many accounts can I use when transferring Other Than Personal Service (OTPS)?

    Up to a total of eight accounts can be used when transferring OTPS.

  • What should I put in the “Description ID” field on an interdepartmental invoice (IDI)?

    This field will be the field that shows up in the transaction description area of SIRI so you should either use your own internal department numbering system or something descriptive enough so that you can reconcile easier.

  • Can I prepare it and submit an interdepartmental invoice (IDI) electronically?

    Original signatures are required on both sides of the transaction.  If you prepared numerous IDI’s between accounts within your department, please contact an expert and we will try and accommodate your request.

For Personal Service Transfers

  • Do all the fields on the PSR/Temporary Service Journal Transfer Request form need to be filled out?

    No, but please fill out as much as possible

  • Can we request a payroll transfer for future periods?

    No, only an expenditure that has been posted can be transferred.


  • If I don’t have a line number what can I use?

    If you do not have access to a line number you can also use a person number.

    NEVER use a social security number.

  • Will I be notified when the transfer is completed?

    Yes, we will notify you when the transfer is completed and the document number and entry date will be filled in on the form.

  • Why can’t we do lump sum transfers?

    For tracking purposes, when you do lump sum transfers you lose the detail behind the transactions.

  • Can we request a payroll transfer from a prior year?

    No, once a fiscal year has been closed the business system will not allow changes.


Fees — Service Center

  • Can I bill different rates to different users?

    Different rates may only be billed to external non-university users. All internal university users must be charged the same rates.

    Please note that federal guidelines do not allow grants and contracts to be charged a higher rate than any other internal or external users.

  • Can I include the cost of equipment in my billing rate?

    Equipment cannot be entirely included as a cost in the year purchased when calculating service center billing rates. However, the cost of equipment can be included in the rate as depreciation, using the straight-line method. Please note that equipment purchased by federally sponsored programs cannot be included in billing rates.

  • Can I transfer money out of my service center when I have a surplus?

    If the transfer involves funds that have accumulated because of a surplus to an internal rate, an adjustment to user charges to compensate for the surpluses is necessary. Transfers of funds that have accumulated due to external charges are allowable.

  • Does my billing rate calculation have to be done using the billing rate development worksheet or can I use a separate spreadsheet?

    A similar departmental spreadsheet may be used to document service center rate calculation. However, the top portion of the Billing Rate Development Worksheet in the Fee Approval Request Template must still be completed (along with the appropriate signatures) in order for the rate to be approved.

  • How long do I have to keep my service center records?

    According to federal guidelines, original service center records such as actual costs, units of service provided, billings, collections and annual surpluses/deficits, must be retained for three years from the end of the fiscal year covered by the calculations. For example, if a billing rate computation covers a period anytime included in the university fiscal year ending June 30, 2008, then the records supporting the computation must be retained until June 30, 2011.

  • How often should service center rates be reviewed by the department head?

    Service centers are required to review their rates no less than biennially and to submit documentation of that review to Financial Management. However, a best practice is to review actual costs and rates at least annually, based on the university's fiscal year.

  • Where do the federal guidelines come from that govern service centers?

    They come from the federal requirements set forth in Circular A-21, Principles for Determining Costs Applicable to Grants, Contracts, and Other Agreements with Educational Institutions. This circular is issued by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and is referenced many times in the university’s service center policy. Read the  Circular A-21.

Fees — University

  • Do all university Fees require SUNY approval?

    No, not all university fees require campus approval. Non-mandatory, non-credit bearing course or program fees require campus only approval.

  • Do I need to establish a separate account when creating a new fee?

    Yes, establishing a unique account or sub-account will allow for greater analysis of fee revenue generated and matching costs funded by this revenue stream.

  • Will GUSF be assessed on revenue generated from fees?

    Yes, revenue generated from fees is assessed GUSF on a monthly basis.

  • When developing / reviewing fees, can units only work with Financial Services during a specified time of year?

    Financial Management will continue to collaborate with units on fee preparation throughout the fiscal year. Units should however familiarize themselves with the Fee Calendar for applicable deadline.

  • Is the consultation process only limited to student fees?

    Yes, consultation process is limited to fees assessed to students. Consultation is not required for service center fees or fees assessed to non-students.

  • Am I able to determine the funding source fee collections are deposited to?

    The Income Fund Reimbursable (IFR) funds are the funding source used to track university fees. From time to time, however, unique circumstances require the utilization of UB Foundation (UBF) dollars. In those unique circumstances SUNY policy allows for University Fees to be deposited at UBF. Expenses associated with fee dollars generated must also take place in the Foundation to achieve proper matching of revenues and expenses.

Institutional Loan Fund

  • When do I receive payment coupons for my institutional loan?

    Initially, you will receive payment information a few months prior to your graduation date which will include coupons through January of the following year.  Subsequent payment coupons are mailed annually in early January. This mailing will include coupons for February through January. Annual statements for each note will also be mailed at this time.  If your graduation date has changed, or if you do not receive this information, please contact Diane Walton at (716) 645-2603 or e-mail

  • What are the acceptable methods of payment for an institutional loan?

    An institutional loan can be paid by the following methods:

    • Check or money order payable to: University at Buffalo Foundation Inc. Inst Loan Fund
    • Cash (in-person only)
    • Credit card payments on-line. (Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express)
    • Electronic check (e-check)


    Automatic debits are not accepted at this time.

  • Do I need to make separate payments for each institutional loan?

    You may make all Institutional Loan payments with one check or one on-line transaction. If paying by check, you must include all payment coupons to ensure your payment is properly credited to each note. If making a payment on-line, your payment will be applied to each of your outstanding notes based on your current repayment terms unless you contact Diane Walton within 24 hours of your confirmed transactions. Please email at with your payment instructions.

  • Where should I mail my payment for my institutional loan

    Payments should be mailed to:

    University at Buffalo Foundation Inc.
    Institutional Loan Fund
    Box 900
    Buffalo, New York  14226-0900

  • Can I request a deferment on my institutional loan

    When a student borrows from the Institutional Loan Fund, he/she signs a note from a specific fund. Each fund has its own guidelines for repayment, which are summarized on the note. Regardless of the terms of a note, certain circumstances warrant a borrower to either delay beginning repayment, or to deviate from a regularly maintained payment schedule for a particular period of time. These exceptions from standard repayment terms are called deferments.

    Deferments can be requested based on the following reasons:

    • Full-time student
    • Active military duty
    • Financial hardship
    • Internships, fellowship, or residency program
    • Unemployment
  • What if I do not make timely payments for my institutional loan?

    Failure to make timely payment may affect your credit rating. If you are aware that you will be unable to make timely payments, you may be eligible for a deferment. Information and forms are available regarding deferments below.

    If your account is 30 or more days past due, a check-stop will be placed on your account. This check-stop will terminate all university services including your ability to:

    • Register
    • Receive Transcripts
    • Receive Diplomas

    Your account may be referred to the Attorney General's Office or a collection agency. If your account has be sent to the Attorney General's Office, you must direct all questions to their office at (518) 474-1717.

  • How can I get a check stop removed from my account for an institutional loan in default?

    There are two payment options to immediately have a "G" check-stop removed from your account: 

    1. You may pay via credit card or e-check on-line. If you choose this method, please contact Diane Walton at (716) 645-2603 after you receive on-line confirmation of your payment.  
    2. Cash or Money Order payment may be taken to the University at Buffalo Foundation at The Center for Tomorrow. If possible, payment coupons should accompany payment. Request that UB Foundation contact this office to tell us the amount received. 

    Once our office is notified we will verify that this will bring the account current and remove the "G" check-stop.

    This does not apply if your account is at the Attorney General’s Office.

  • Who should I contact if my institutional loan account has been forwarded to the Attorney General’s Office?

    All questions regarding your account must be directed to the Attorney General's Office. You may contact the Attorney General's Office at (518) 474-1717

  • How can I obtain Coupons, Statements and Pay-Off balance information on my institutional loan?

    For this information, please contact Diane Walton at (716) 645-2603 or send e-mail to  

Payment Card Industry (PCI)

  • I have a Procurement Card (p-card), Am I required to take the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data security course?

    No, only those who process and handle customer payment card information are required to take the yearly PCI data security course. However, if you are interested in taking the course anyone is welcome to participate.

  • Do I need vulnerability scanning to validate compliance?

    If you electronically store card holder data post authorization or if your processing systems have any Internet connectivity, a quarterly scan by a PCI SSC Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV) is required.

  • Do organizations using third-party processors have to be PCI compliant?

    Yes. Merely using a third-party company does not exclude a company from PCI compliance. It may cut down on their risk exposure and consequently reduce the effort to validate compliance. However, it does not mean they can ignore PCI.

  • What are the penalties for noncompliance?

    The payment brands may, at their discretion, fine an acquiring bank $5,000 to $100,000 per month for PCI compliance violations. The banks will most likely pass this fine on downstream until it eventually hits the merchant. Furthermore, the bank will also most likely either terminate your relationship or increase transaction fees.

  • What is defined as “card holder data”?

    Card holder data is any personally identifiable data associated with a card holder. This could be an account number, expiration date, name, address, social security number, etc.. All personally identifiable information associated with the card holder that is stored, processed, or transmitted is also considered card holder data.

  • To whom do the payment card Industry (PCI) regulations apply?

    PCI applies to all organizations (departments) or merchants, regardless of size or number of transactions, that accept, transmit or store any card holder data. Said another way, if any customer of that organization ever pays the merchant directly using a credit card or debit card, then the PCI DSS requirements apply.

Reimbursement to Individuals

  • How do I get reimbursed for out-of-pocket purchases

    Get reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses by completing a Reimbursement/Advance/Payment Form, better known as the RAP Form. Depending on the funding source there are different requirements.

  • How long will it take for me to get reimbursed?

    You should receive your reimbursement in 2-4 weeks from the time of submission.

  • Do I need an itemized receipt?

    Yes, you need to provide an itemized receipt when requesting reimbursement.

  • Can I be reimbursed for New York state sales tax?

    Only if the supplier would not accept the tax-exempt certificate.

  • Can I be reimbursed for alcohol?

    No, you cannot be reimbursed for alcohol.

Revenue Transfers

  • Can revenue be transferred between sub-accounts?


  • Can I add my own description to a revenue transfer?

    Yes, a short description up to 20 characters is available to you.

  • What accounts can revenue be transferred between?

    Revenue transfers can be completed on state Income Fund Reimbursable (IFR) and SUNY Tuition Reimbursable (SUTRA) Accounts.

UBF Accounts

  • How do I access UB Foundation accounts?

    UB Foundation accounts can be accessed via SIRI. You must have access to the money dashboard, and you must have signatory or inquiry access for each account.

  • Can I connect to SIRI from my home computer, or another OFF-Campus location?

  • How do I access my paystubs and W-2 forms?

    To view paystubs and W-2 forms, click on the AccuFund Employee Portal button.

  • What if I can log-in to SIRI but I cannot see any/all of the accounts I should be seeing?

    In order to see any UBF accounts in SIRI, you must have access to the money dashboard and you must be given access to each account for your UBITName. You can do that by following the Request Access link.

  • I asked for account access earlier today, and do not have that account yet.

    Account access will take 1 business day to show up in SIRI from the time it was actually entered into the system. This is in addition to the amount of time it takes for the request to be answered.

  • How do I save files and print files and reports?

    At the very bottom of reports, there are links to print the report or save it in your preferred format.

UBF Giving

  • Can a foreign check not drawn on a U.S. or Canadian bank be deposited with the UB Foundation (UBF)?

    Yes. Payments greater than $150 will be sent for collection. Please note that it can take 4 to 6 weeks to collect the funds, and that funds will not be deposited until collected. 

    Due to increasing collection fees, it is recommended that payments from foreign countries are made with a credit card, or ask to have the funds wired to the bank.

    Acceptable foreign checks for deposit must be drawn on a U.S. bank and have banking routing and accounts numbers along bottom portion of check. This type of check can be for any amount.

  • How do I send my deposit to the UB Foundation (UBF)?

    Deposits can be received via campus mail, U.S. mail or hand delivery to our offices. We require any cash to be hand delivered. The UBF office is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and closed on university holidays.

    Office Operations Until Further Notice

    UB Foundation physical offices at Center for Tomorrow (CFT) will be open 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM Monday – Friday, however most staff continue to work from alternate off-campus locations.

    All staff remain available, with most transactions able to be conducted via e-mail.

    All staff can be reached directly via email. Click here for the UBF Employee Directory

    Campus Mail

    UB Foundation
    Center for Tomorrow
    North Campus

    External Mail (USPS)

    UB Foundation
    P.O. Box 900
    Buffalo, NY 14226-0900

UBF Expenditures

  • What if I have insufficient funds to pay an expenditure (UBF)?

    Payments cannot be made from accounts with insufficient funds.

  • What should be done if a vendor includes sales tax on an invoice?

    Contact the vendor and provide them a sales tax exemption form. You may also request on the disbursement request, when it is being submitted for payment, to have UBF send a copy of the sales tax exemption form along with the payment. The amount authorized on the disbursement request should not include the amount for the NY state sales tax. 

  • How long does it take UBF to process a check?

    On average, after UBF receives the expenditure request, it takes approximately one week to process the request. Additional processing time is required if the expenditure amount is $50,000 or more. 

  • Are there any expenses that cannot be reimbursed by UBF?

    As a general rule, UBF cannot reimburse for personal expenses or political contributions.

  • Can a single expenditure be paid from multiple UBF accounts?


Web Page Feedback

Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

(We'd like to respond to you.)