Taxes For International Students, Scholars and Guests

The University at Buffalo is proud of its traditions of academic excellence and for having one of the most diverse academic communities in the United States. UB offers you assistance from state-wide experts to manage your international employee or guest needs.

Tax Preparation Application Available

International students and scholars can use the UB-provided application Sprintax to prepare federal (U.S.) tax returns at no cost.

Faculty and Staff International Students International Guests

International Students — On this Page

International Students

You have invested in UB by deciding to further your education here; we have invested in you through scholarships and on-campus jobs. Your participation in these opportunities contributes to UB's standing as a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence.

Types of Payments to International Students

As an international student you can receive payment from UB for:

  • Employment
  • Scholarship or fellowship 

Each payment type has a definition and requirements.

Type of Payment Requirements
Employment Payment for services provided such as a student assistant or for  teaching or research as a condition for receiving a scholarship;  incidental expenses apart from biweekly state scholarship payments
Scholarship or Fellowship Payment for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance, or for fees, books, supplies and equipment required for courses

Contact an Expert

  • Carlos Gallardo.

    Carlos Gallardo

    International HR Services

    Phone: 716-645-4430


  • Avatar of Steven Stich.

    Steven Stich

    International HR Services

    Phone: 716-645-4423


  • Amanda Brown.

    Amanda Brown


    International HR Services

    Phone: 716-645-4429


Related Forms, Policies, Links