If you were affiliated with UB and a Nonresident Alien, you must file a U.S. tax return even if you did not have U.S. income.
Sprintax is a Web-based tax preparation system designed primarily for nonresident alien students and scholars to aid in preparing their 2018 Federal and State income tax returns and Form 8843
This is required even if you have no U.S. income
You are a nonresident alien for tax purposes if the following applies to you :
If you are a nonresident alien you can get the access code by using your UBITName and password.
You can use Sprintax Tax Preparation software to help you file both your federal and state income tax returns and Form 8843
International students and scholars who were here at UB in 2018. This includes individuals with no U.S. income as well as those who received payments such as wages or scholarships. Special U.S. tax forms must be completed for Nonresident Aliens.
Nonresident Alien employees should not use software or tax services meant for Residents such as TurboTax or H&R Block.
3. Gather applicable tax documents that should be sent to you by mail which may include:
° Form W-2
° Form 1042-S (Mailed out in the middle of March)
° Form 1099-T
4. Gather your visa/immigration status documents:
° Arrival/Departure History (www.cbp.gov/I-94)
° I-20 or DS 2019
° EAD card or I-797 Approval Notices if applicable
5. Have a copy of last year’s tax return if available.
6. Plan on spending up to 60 minutes to complete your Federal tax return on Sprintax.
7. Although Sprintax is an online system, you CANNOT file your tax return electronically. You will have to print, sign and mail the tax return generated by Sprintax once you have completed it. Sprintax will provide you with instructions about the address to which you must mail your tax return.
8. You should keep copies of all forms you submit.
Please remember that any assistance received is appropriate to your tax status as a nonresident alien.