Animal Use and Field Work

On this page:

All animal research must be approved by the University's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and the Environment, Health & Safety Biosafety Office to help researchers develop effective and compliant protocols.

Vertebrate Animals

All use of vertebrate animals in research endeavors MUST be approved by the IACUC.  IACUC can be contacted at  If recombinant nucleic acids, pathogens or toxins are utilized in research with animals, a biosafety protocol will be required. Similarly, if hazardous materials or radiation are to be used with animals, a chemical or radiation safety protocol will also be required.

Arthropods and Vectors

Arthropods and microbial vectors require a biosafety review prior to use but do not require and IACUC approval.   All recombinant nucleic acids studies, pathogen studies or toxin studies using arthropods and vectors require a biosafety protocol submission.


The use of invertebrate animals does not require IACUC approval however, biosafety, chemical safety or radiation safety protocols may apply.

Field Work

Outdoor field work offers a unique set of research opportunities, and with that, a unique set of safety concerns.  Whether you’re working with insects, animals, parasites, or even raw sewage, the University at Buffalo is committed to the health and safety of its research community.  A Field Work Safety Plan is should be developed to meet Federal, State and Local regulatory compliance regulations for field activities. To comply with this requirement, a Field Work Safety Plan form has been devised to assist you in developing your plan. Submit this form prior to leaving on your research expedition.

Research Compliance Assistance

Often, field work requires permission and/or permits be acquired. There are a number of federal and state agencies that deal with biological sampling permits and sample movement.

Contact an Expert

headshot of david pawlowski.

David Pawlowski, Ph.D, RBP

Biosafety Officer

Environment, Health & Safety

Phone: 716-829-5816