Body Image and Eating Disorders

If you or someone you know has an eating disorder, including anorexia or bulimia, we have an Eating Disorders Team that offers the support you need.

On this page:

About Eating Disorders

An eating disorder affects people both physically and emotionally. Students who have an eating disorder may have extreme feelings about their weight, as well as extreme behaviors involving food. To learn more about eating disorders, please visit the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) website.

Individual and Group Counseling

Counselors provide short-term individual and group therapy aimed at helping students reduce symptoms, understand the psychology of eating disorders, increase their ability to express emotions, and learn to define themselves in ways other than body size and food intake.

Meet With a Dietitian for Nutrition Counseling

Meet with UB’s registered dietitian to assess your current lifestyle and get individual nutrition counseling. We offer guidance on nutrition-related medical concerns, as well as provide support regarding eating on campus, body image, saving money on food and more. We promote a non-diet approach to eating that supports self-esteem and body acceptance. We seek to encourage eating well and enjoying an active lifestyle.

For a Nutrition Appointment

Step 1. Complete the Nutrition Self- Assessment and Food Log Forms (Recommended)

If you’re scheduling an assessment, please fill out the Nutrition Self-Assessment and Three-Day Food Log forms and bring them to your meeting. Try to record everything you eat or drink immediately after you consume it. It is essential that you record three typical days, not just “good” days. The more detailed and honest you are, the more accurate your analysis may be. Food records are helpful but are not required; if you feel uncomfortable doing them or simply choose not to complete them, that’s OK.

Step 2. Make an Appointment for Nutritional Counseling

Contact Health Promotion to schedule an appointment with the dietitian.

Medical Care

Healthcare providers evaluate, monitor and educate students with disordered eating. They work closely with the mental health and nutrition experts on campus to support recovery.

Need Help?

Someone to talk to for mental health issues

University at Buffalo
120 Richmond Quadrangle, North Campus
Buffalo, NY 14261

Phone: (716) 645-2720; Fax: (716) 645-2175

University at Buffalo
202 Michael Hall, South Campus
Buffalo, NY 14214

Phone: (716) 829-5800

Primary, non-emergency medical care

Health Services

Student Life

University at Buffalo
Michael Hall, 3435 Main Street, South Campus
Buffalo, NY 14214

Phone: (716) 829-3316; Fax: (716) 829-2564

Preventative health and wellness education

Health Promotion

Student Life

University at Buffalo
114 Student Union, North Campus
Buffalo, NY 14260

Phone: (716) 645-2837; Fax: (716) 645-6234

Additional Resources


This information is designed to provide self-help resources for mental health. This website is not psychotherapy treatment. If you have questions, need help or just want someone to talk with, please contact Counseling Services.