Stay on track with the tasks associated with your start at UB.
This list overviews many of the tasks a new student needs to complete to successfully start at UB. We will email you timely reminders to encourage your progress.
Actions Related to Step 1: Complete the Orientation Data Form
Before You Complete the Orientation Data Form
- Activate your UBITName. After you complete your Orientation Data Form, UB will communicate with your buffalo.edu email, which requires you to set up your UBITName. Follow the instructions to set-up your UB email account and begin checking regularly. You should have access to activate your UB email account a couple days after submitting your tuition deposit.
- Enroll in DUO, UB's two-step verification to protect your UBIT name. If you have not done so already, follow the steps on UBIT's website to enroll now. Complete this at the same time you activate your UBITName.
- Learn more about how to choose your major. On the Orientation Data Form, you will see your current major listed and have the option to change to another available major. Inform your choice by reviewing UB's tips for how to choose your major. It is also okay to not be sure; select "exploratory" if you'd like to start at UB with an undeclared major.
- Explore your interests. On the Orientation Data Form you'll select an interest area to help us connect you with other new students who share this interest. Learn more about your options on the FAQ page.
After You Complete the Orientation Data Form
- Review your Orientation Data Form confirmation email. This email will be sent 10-15 minutes after you submit the form and includes detailed information about instructions, timelines and action steps just for you.
- Take action on Step 2: Submit immunization records. You must meet this requirement before registering for classes.
Actions Related to Step 4: Participate in Summer Orientation
Before Summer Orientation
- Access your UB Zoom premium account. This is a premium account that you’ll need in order to access your Summer Orientation live sessions. To do this, you’ll select “Sign in with SSO” when given the option instead of signing into Zoom with Google, Facebook, or even just entering your @buffalo.edu email. Learn more about using your UB Zoom account.
- Join the Slack channel for new students. You will be sent instructions in June for how to join.
- Review the orientation schedule mailed to you in June and make your plan for which session(s) you'll attend.
During Your Summer Orientation
- Complete the final steps of the Student Technology Guide to learn about available device discounts, configure devices for Wi-Fi and download free software (steps 4, 5, and 6).
- Complete any to-do list items for financial aid located in your HUB Student Center (access through MyUB, requires UBIT name/password).
- Review billing dates on the Student Accounts website. Your first payment may be due before classes start. If you expect a financial aid refund, set up direct deposit to receive these funds faster. Learn more about direct deposit at UB and sign up in your HUB Student Center (access through MyUB, requires UBIT name/password).
- Understand UB's Health Insurance Requirement and your coverage options. If you submit a waiver of UB's coverage, we recommend completing before August 6 to avoid any late fees due to processing time.
- Submit a photo for your UB Card. You must submit a photo; complete this task in July during your orientation week, and definitely by August 6. Students will receive their UB Card during Welcome Weekend.
- Register for your Parking Permit online (requires UBIT name/password) if you plan to bring a car to campus this fall. Select to have this mailed to you. Request your parking pass in July during your orientation week to ensure it arrives by mail before the start of classes.