Stay on track with the tasks associated with your start at UB.
This list overviews many of the tasks a new student needs to complete to successfully start at UB. We will email you timely reminders to encourage your progress.
Actions Related to Step 1: Complete the Orientation Data Form
Before You Complete the Orientation Data Form
- Activate your UBITName. After you complete your Orientation Data Form, UB will communicate with your buffalo.edu email, which requires you to set up your UBITName. Follow the instructions to set-up your UB email account and begin checking regularly. You can access your UBmail by vising ubmail.buffalo.edu from a web browser. You should have access to activate your UB email account a couple days after submitting your tuition deposit.
- Enroll in DUO, UB's two-step verification to protect your UBIT name. If you have not done so already, follow the steps on UBIT's website to enroll now. Complete this at the same time you activate your UBITName.
- Learn more about how to choose your major. On the Orientation Data Form, you will see your current major listed and have the option to change to another available major. Inform your choice by reviewing UB's tips for how to choose your major. It is also okay to not be sure; select "exploratory" if you'd like to start at UB with an undeclared major.
- Explore your interests. On the Orientation Data Form you'll select an interest area to help us connect you with other new students who share this interest. Learn more about your options on the FAQ page.
After You Complete the Orientation Data Form
- Review your Orientation Data Form confirmation email. This email will be sent 10-15 minutes after you submit the form and includes detailed information about instructions, timelines and action steps just for you.
- Take action on Step 2: Submit immunization records. You must meet this requirement before registering for classes.
Actions Related to Step 4: Participate in Summer Orientation
Before Summer Orientation
- Access your UB Zoom account. This is a premium account that you’ll need in order to access your Summer Orientation live sessions. Use your UBmail address (@buffalo.edu) when you login. Learn more about using your UB Zoom account.
- Join the Slack channel for new students. Add yourself to the group chat platform using your buffalo.edu email.
- Review the orientation guide mailed to you in June and make your plan for which session(s) you'll attend. Download a copy of the orientation guide on this page.
- Check your UB email the Friday before your Summer Orientation week. We'll send you instructions for how to access the Online Orientation Modules and the Zoom links for your live, virtual sessions.
- If you're planning to live on campus, complete self-selection for your room assignment between June 22 and June 30. Find everything you need to know to self-select your fall housing on the Campus Living website.
During Your Summer Orientation
- Complete the final steps of the Student Technology Guide to learn about available device discounts, configure devices for Wi-Fi and download free software (steps 4, 5, and 6).
- Complete any to-do list items for financial aid located in your HUB Student Center (access through MyUB, requires UBIT name/password).
- Review billing dates on the Student Accounts website. Your first payment may be due before classes start. If you expect a financial aid refund, set up direct deposit to receive these funds faster. Learn more about direct deposit at UB and sign up in your HUB Student Center (access through MyUB, requires UBIT name/password).
- Understand UB's Health Insurance Requirement and your coverage options. If you submit a waiver of UB's coverage, we recommend completing before August 11 to allow 10 days processing time before the first eBill is due (8/25/2021).
- Submit a photo for your UB Card. You must submit a photo; complete this task in July during your orientation week, and definitely by August 6. Students will receive their UB Card before or during Welcome Weekend. Students living on campus can expect to receive their UB Card when they arrive to campus for new student move-in on August 24 or August 25. You must have a government-issued photo ID to receive your UB card. Students living off-campus will receive their UB Card at 1Capen at a time convenient for you. If you're in the Buffalo area, we recommend visiting 1Capen between now and August 20 to pick-up your UB Card (no appointment needed prior to August 23). If you're unable to come to campus before the start of the semester, you can make an appointment to get your UB Card during the first two weeks of the semester. You'll need an appointment, visit buffalo.edu/1capen to schedule no more than three business days in advance.
- Register for your Parking Permit online (requires UBIT name/password) if you plan to bring a car to campus this fall. UB will mail your parking pass home for you to use this fall. Request your parking pass in July during your orientation week (and definitely by August 6) to ensure it arrives by mail before the start of classes.