Frequently Asked Questions

On This Page


When will I receive my tuition bill? When is my tuition bill due?

Student will recive an email containing infortmation about their eBill at their email address only. The billing schedule provides information on billing dates and due dates. To avoid receving a late fee, your bill needs to be paid by the due date.

Can I request a duplicate copy of my bill?

To view your bill, log in to your HUB Student Center.  Click on Billing / Payments and then click on Payment Options.  You will then be brought into QuikPAY where you can click on View & Pay Accounts in the menu.

Can I pay my bill online?

Yes. Online payment (credit card or eCheck) is UB's preferred payment method. All credit card payments for payment on account must be done through your HUB Student Center.

Is there a payment plan available to pay my bill?

Yes. UB partners with Nelnet Campus Commerce to administer payment plans. Payment consists of up to four (4) equal installments, which helps avoid paying your account in full at the beginning of the term. 

The payment plan is available for either the Fall or Spring terms (not Summer or Winter sessions) and has an enrollment fee of $45.00 per term. It is not a loan program and the service is provided interest free. Student who wish to enroll for both terms must re-apply at the beginning of each term. 

If you are enrolled in a payment plan, your billing due dates differ from the normal billing process. 

Why am I being charged for Student Medical Insurance on my bill? How can I waive this?

Student Medical Insurance is mandatory for all full-time University at Buffalo students. You will be billed automatically, however, this charge may be waived by providing proof that you are covered under an alternative plan that meets all requirements. You will receive email correspondence regarding plan benefits and waiver procedures. See Tuition and Fees for more information about associated charges on your account. 

I have a credit balance on my account. When will I receive my refund?

We will automatically refund credit balances on your account as a result of an adjustment or overpayment of your bill. See Refunds for more infomation. 

What is the Comprehensive Fee?

The Comprehensive Fee is a consolidation of campus-required fees which support several university services. The Comprehensive Fee is referred to as the Comp Fee on your tuition bill. 

Am I eligible for New York State residency for tuition purposes?

You will be considered a New York state resident and be charged in-state tuition rates when it has been determined that New York State has been your domicile (e.g. a permanent and principal home in New York State) for a 12-month period prior to the start of the semester. If you are currently being charged out-of-state tuition and feel you are a New York State resident, you may apply for New York State Residency for Tuition Purposes

Why do I have a hold on my account?

A hold is placed on your account by a department(s). A hold is used by the university to prevent student registration or release of student records, including a diploma, enrollment certification, or transcript. You can view your holds in your HUB Student Center

Will I be receiving a 1098-T Tuition Statement?

The university will report to the IRS required information about students who were billed for at least one credit hour in any semester in a tax year. As required by law, 1098-T statements will be mailed by January 31 of the following year. If you were not billed tuition and fees for the preceding year, you will NOT receive a 1098-T. A 1098-T form is mailed to students with a valid social security number on file. If you did not receive a 1098-T but feel like you should have one, please contact the office of Student Accounts. 

The 1098-T, along with your copy of your UB billing statements, should be used by your tax preparer to determine your eligibility for a tax credit. Because each taxpayer's circumstances vary, we cannot provide tax advice or assistance related to the credit or how to claim the credit. 

Broad-based Fees

What are broad-based fees?

Broad-based fees are generally charged to all enrolled students to finance discrete activities that benefit the student body, excluding those activities that are part of the core instructional program. At UB, Broad-based Fees include the components of the Comprehensive Fee and the Academic Excellence and Success Fee.

What is the Academic Excellence and Success Fee? Why do we have it?

The Academic Excellence and Success Fee provides financial resources necessary for maintaining quality academic and student success programs and to support UB NYSUNY 2020. Revenue may be used to enhance student academic support services, advisement, research opportunities, equipment, facilities, and scholarships. In addition, funds may be used for personnel service needs such as tutoring, laboratory technicians, faculty and other academic and student support activities.

What is the Comprehensive Fee? Why do we have it?

The Comprehensive Fee is a consolidation of various individual fees (College, Health Services, Transportation, Technology, Campus Life, Athletics, Recreation and Transcript) into one charge on Student Accounts statements provided to UB students. This approach simplifies student invoices, improves campus processing of payments, better communicates the cost of attendance, and reduces the multiple fee waivers currently required of some students. Note: The Academic Excellence and Success Fee and the student government mandatory fee, labeled as “Student Activity Fee,” are billed on separate lines and are not included in the Comprehensive Fee.

Where can I find more information on the Academic Excellence and Success Fee and the programs supported by the Comprehensive Fee?

Detailed information on services provided by these fees is available from the Academic Excellence and Success Fee page.

Are Comprehensive Fees common at other schools like UB?

Yes. Many of the schools in the Mid-American Conference of which UB is a member have a comprehensive approach to fees and several American Association of Universities (AAU) and SUNY campuses have also instituted a Comprehensive Fee.

How are the fee rates determined?

The fee rates are guided by SUNY policy and take into consideration the Higher Education Price Index (HEPI). Information about HEPI can be found on the Commonfund Institute website. At times and for certain targeted initiatives, SUNY may allow an increase beyond the HEPI percentage.

Do all students pay the same fee?

No. All students are billed for the campus life, college, health, technology, transcript and transportation components as part of the comprehensive approach. Undergraduate day students also are billed for the intercollegiate athletic and recreation component. In addition, comprehensive fee components, except for the transcript fee, are assessed at a per-credit hour basis for part-time students.

How can I impact how the fees are spent?

There are several opportunities for student input on fee planning, first and foremost the annual fee consultation process. During the year, students can also participate in advisory and programming committees in various fee areas or contact the fee coordinators listed below with suggestions, questions, or concerns. For more information on services provided by the fees, please review the broad-based fee expenditure reports.

1098-T Tuition Statement

When will I receive my 1098-T form?

A 1098-T form is automatically mailed to only those students with one of the following U.S. citizenship status on university records: native, naturalized, or permanent resident. The statement will be mailed by January 31 of the following year to your permanent address on file. In addition, you may access and print your 1098-T online through Heartland ECSI, also available by January 31.

Students without one of these three U.S. citizenship statuses or students with a non-resident alien status will not have a 1098-T automatically generated but may request one. In order for you to receive a 1098-T, you must complete a modified W-9S form (PDF) and send it along with your request for a 1098-T. The deadline to request the current tax year’s 1098-T form is July 1.

How can I access my 1098-T form online?

The University at Buffalo partners with Heartland ECSI to deliver the 1098-T statements. The Heartland 1098-T website is available 24/7 providing student information. It allows students to view and print their 1098-T tuition statement.

  1. Navigate to, then:
  2. The school identification page will be displayed. In the school name search box, type “University at Buffalo” and click submit.
  3. The student Identification page will be displayed. Complete the fields for First Name, Last Name, SSN, and Zip Code.
  4. Click the checkbox “I am not a robot,” then click “continue.”
  5. Your personal 1098T page will be displayed. Click the (+) to expand the 1098-T Statement section to see your statement details as well as a link to a printer friendly version of your 1098T statement.

Need help logging in to Heartland ECSI? Please call 866-428-1098, Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 8:00pm EST.


I received my 1098-T form last year, why haven’t I received one this year?

There are several reasons why you may not automatically receive a 1098-T form. These reasons include the following:

  • No Payments of IRS qualified charges posted during the tax year
  • No financial aid or scholarships posted during the tax year
  • A missing or invalid US citizenship status in HUB*
  • A non-US citizenship status in HUB*

*In order for you to receive a 1098-T, you must submit a modified W-9S form (PDF) and send it along with your request for a 1098T to the Office of the Registrar.

Why does Box 1 have an amount and Box 2 is blank on my 1098-T?

For tax years 2017 and prior, the IRS gave schools the option of choosing to report either Box 1 or Box 2. For Tax year 2017 and prior, UB chose to report Box 2, the IRS qualified charges that were assessed during the tax year. Beginning in Tax Year 2018, we are required to report Box 1 only, and not report anything in Box 2. For billing statement information with your detailed charges and payments, log into MyUB, HUB Student Center, click on Billing / Payments and then click on Payment Options.

Why doesn’t my 1098-T Box 1 Payments match the amount I paid?

The IRS requires schools to report only payments of qualified tuition and related expenses for the calendar year (date the payment was posted on student account).  The IRS does not consider the following items to be qualified expenses:  courses involving sports, games, or hobbies (unless part of a degree program), dining/meal plan charges, health insurance, disability insurance fees (even if required; excluded by statute), housing charges, late payment fees, library fines, loan processing fees, orientation fees, parking permits, parking fines, student health fees, transportation fees (if providing individual benefit).

For more information on IRS qualified tuition and related expenses, please go to

I have received my 1098-T form and Box 1 and/or 5 are blank. Why is that?

You did not have any Payments of IRS qualified charges (Box 1) and/or financial aid and scholarships (Box 5) that posted during the tax year to report.

Why is Box 5 “Financial Aid” more than Box 1 “Payments?”

Box 5 is a total of all financial aid, scholarships, grants and third party payments per IRS instructions (IRS does not include loans) that are posted to the student’s account during the tax year. A student’s financial aid is based on their total cost of attendance, which includes costs that may not be considered qualified by the IRS for the Payments reported in Box 1.

Please note: The university cannot provide you with tax advice or assistance related to the tax credits or how to claim the credit. For assistance, please contact a tax professional or refer to the website.

What is a W-9S form?

The IRS W-9S form is your certification that your tax ID number (SSN or ITIN) is correct. To comply with Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code, you are required to provide the information on the form to the university upon request.

If I don’t have a SSN or ITIN, can I still get a 1098-T form?

You cannot receive a 1098-T form if you do not have a SSN or ITIN.

  • To apply for an SSN, use Form SS-5 — Application for a Social Security Card — which you can get from your local Social Security Administration office or online. You may also get this form by calling 1-800-772-1213.
  • To apply for an ITIN because you are not eligible to get an SSN, use Form W-7 — Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number — which you can get from the IRS website or by calling 1-800-829-1040.

Why do I need to submit a W-9S form if you already have my SSN?

The W-9S form is your certification that your Tax ID number is correct. The IRS can impose a penalty on the educational institution for reporting a 1098T with a missing or invalid tax ID number. The university may request that the student certify that their tax ID number is valid to prevent being penalized. You are required to provide this to the university upon request.

Where do I send the modified W-9S form?

In order for you to receive a 1098-T, you must fill out a modified W-9S form (PDF) and send it to the Office of the Registrar.

Winter Session

What is the tuition charge for taking a class during winter session?

The tuition rates for the winter session are the same as the preceding fall term. 

When must I drop a winter course to avoid financial liability?

Winter course work must be dropped according to the liability deadlines established for winter in order to avoid financial liability for tuition and fees.

When will I see aid for the winter session on my student account?

Financial aid will appear as ‘anticipated’ on the student account and labeled as Spring. Only currently enrolled undergraduate University at Buffalo students may be eligible for aid for the winter session. Financial aid eligibility is based upon the combined winter and spring registration. Contact your financial aid advisor prior to registering for winter session courses.

Will my spring financial aid awards pay for my winter session charges?

Your spring financial aid may pay for both winter and spring charges. If your award is not enough to cover both terms, you will see a balance that remains on both the winter and spring term. Keep in mind, additional charges will reduce any anticipated refunds.

How do I purchase my spring academic books and supplies for winter courses with my Financial Aid funds?

Please visit the UB Card staff at 1Capen to confirm if you are eligible to use financial aid funds in this manner.

When are my loans going to disburse and refund if I take classes during the winter session?

Financial aid funds will disburse to the student’s account in late January.  If there is a credit on the account, refunds will be done after the spring census date.