Required Documents for Residency Application

Review the chart to see the types of documentation you are required to submit to prove that you have been residing in New York State for at least the past 12 months.

Required documents listed below must be submitted together as a package with the application by the deadline. Documents must support the claim to have resided in New York State for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term of the application. The columns to the right indicate who the required documents must come from.

Deadlines for submission*:

  • Summer Term: June 1
  • Fall Term: September 1
  • Winter Session: January 2
  • Spring Term: February 1
*We will accept applications for the Military and Veterans exceptions at any time for the current semester.

If you’ve submitted a residency application and have not received a decision from our office, you are still responsible for paying the amount due by the billing due date.   Failure to pay the amount due will result in a late payment fee.  You should also be aware of the financial liability deadlines, as these may occur while you are waiting for a decision from our office.

If the deadline falls on a weekend, the deadline is the next business day.

Application Submission and Review Dates

Document Types to Prove Residency

  • A clear copy of the documents listed below must be uploaded with the Residency Application signature page(s) for New York State Tuition Purposes
  • All documents submitted become property of the university for permanent filing
Document Requirements for Residency

Dependent Students:


Documents must come from:

Independent Students:


Documents must come from:

Proof of Citizenship or Permanent Residency


Must provide a copy of ONE of the following:


- U.S. Birth Certificate

- U.S. Passport (Must be signed and not expired)

- Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship

- U.S. Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Receipt Card with Picture (Copy of both sides)

- U.S. Passport card (Copy both sides)


Student Student

Non-US Citizen


- Copy of VISA (Must not be expired) Reference eligible visa code list

-Asylum Seeker

(If you indicate that you intend to legalize your immigration status, an affidavit must be completed, notarized, and submitted along with your required documents.  If you are in the process of legalizing your immigration status, please also provide a copy of your pending immigration paperwork.  Please note this process must be started during the semester you are applying for New York State Residency. You are required to provide a copy of the official USCIS Receipt notice)

Student AND Parent Student

Driver License


- NYS Driver License or NYS Identification Card 

(Interim Driver's License or Out of State Driver's License are not acceptable)


Student AND Parent Student

Income Taxes Filed - All taxes must be signed and dated by the taxpayer


Must provide a copy of EACH of the following:


- A complete copy of Federal taxes for 2023 fiscal year 

- A complete copy of all State taxes for 2023 fiscal year 


If you did not file taxes for the 2023 fiscal year, please submit a letter stating the reason why. The letter must be signed and dated by the taxpayer.


Parent Student

Proof of Housing - Reflecting 12 consecutive months prior to start of semester


Must provide a copy of ONE of the following:


- Copy of deed or proof of home ownership

- Copy of complete lease agreement 

  (Must list your name on the lease and be signed by both you and the landlord)

- UB leased apartments: Include signed/dated lease agreement or official letter from Campus Living including specific start/end dates of your lease agreement.

- Notarized letter from the landlord

 (Must include the date of the letter, property owner's name, your name, your NYS address and beginning and end dates of your rental agreement. This must be signed and dated by the landlord and notarized by a NYS Notary Public)


If your lease will expire within 60 days of the start of the semester, include a copy of a renewal, extension, or a new lease, listing your name and NYS Address.


Parent Student

Proof of Established Utilities/Services***


Must provide copies of TWO of the following services and/or utilities.  You must submit a copy of a statement from 12 months prior to the start of the semester you are applying for (see below) AND the most current. You will be submitting a total of FOUR documents.


You may not submit all four documents from the same company or service. These must include your name and New York State address.  Below is a list of utilities and services we accept:


- Electric

- Gas/Heating

- Water

- Cable/Internet

- Telephone (home or cell)

- Credit card statement

- Auto or home owners/renters insurance

- NYS bank account statement (no canceled checks/voided checks)

- Auto loan statement


Summer - Must be dated May or June of prior year


Fall - Must be dated August or September of prior year


Winter/Spring - Must be dated November or December of prior year


Parent Student



Must provide a copy of ONE of the following:


- NYS Motor Vehicle or other personal property registration

- NYS voter registration card

- NYS W-2 Form (from 2023 tax year)


This document must be in your name and your New York State address


Parent Student

Supplemental Documentation (where applicable)



- Copy of Graduate Tuition Remission/Scholarship Verification Form or department appointment letter (must be signed). Student must have an active departmental appointment for the academic year applying.  


Full time active members of the U.S. Armed Forces

- Copy of Home of Record form or Military Orders

-Veteran DD 214, Copy of Certificate of Eligibility (transfer to dependent)


High School Transcript

- Non-resident students who attended a NYS high school for two or more years, graduated and applied for admission to the university within five years of receiving a NYS high school diploma; applicable GED also accepted
















***“Contract Statements” showing utilities, letters from the rental/leasing company, and letters from the landlord (stating that utilities are included in your agreement), will not be accepted as proof of utilities/services for this category. Documents related to the university, such as loan statements or billing statements, will not be accepted. You may not submit all 4 documents from the same company or service.

Independent students: All documents must list YOUR name; documents may not be submitted in another person’s name. This applies to all graduate and professional level students regardless of age.

*Copies of documents must be uploaded for permanent filing.