Learn the difference between electronic signatures and digital signatures, and how to request them.
An electronic signature is the equivalent of your handwritten signature, and can be used to confirm content within a document, or the terms of a particular document. It is considered to be legally binding in most countries.
A digital signature is the electronic equivalent of adding a notarized signature to a document. It is an electronic, encryption-based, secure stamp of authentication on a message. It confirms that the message originated from the signer and has not been altered. UB uses a Sectigo certificate.
Certificates can not only be used for digital signatures, but they can also be used to encrypt an email message. Keep in mind that both the sender and receiver must already have a digital certificate in place prior to sending encrypted email.
1. After your ticket to request a digital signature is processed, you will receive a one-time use email. Click Verify Email Address . If anything happens during enrollment and you are unable to complete the process, fill out the Remedyforce form again to have a new email generated
2. Leave the Certificate Profile field as is
3. Choose either 1 year or 2 years for Certificate Term
4. Choose a Key Type. The default RSA - 2048 is sufficient for most people's needs
5. Enter your first and last name in their respective fields
6. Tick the box confirming you have read and agree to the terms
7. In the popup box, click Agree
8. Click Submit
9. A new certificate will download. Please wait
10. Important: Change the key protection algorithm to Compatible TripleDES-SHA1, as the default setting results in problems for most operating systems
11. Create a PKCS#12 password to encrypt your new key and certifiate then enter it again to confirm it
12 Click Download
If you’re a researcher at UB working with Department of Defense (DoD) grants, you may be required to obtain a certificate (known as an “ECA Certificate”) from the DoD-approved vendor, IdenTrust in order to process your grant. Follow their step-by-step instructions, the process of obtaining this certificate is complex.
You may be seeing a URL that could not be rendered by Safe Links.