Moving to UBmail (Exchange Online) for Retirees, Volunteers, Adjuncts and Some Alumni
If you received an email telling you about your move to UBmail (Exchange Online), you are in the right place! Learn how to make a smooth transition.
Using UBmail through a web browser
- You will use ubmail.buffalo.edu when checking your email in a web browser
- Clear your browser cache before you begin accessing for the first time
- Login with your UB email address and password
Using UBmail on a desktop or laptop computer
- You can no longer use Outlook or other desktop email clients.
Using UBmail on a phone or tablet
Once we move your mailbox, forwarding to a non-UB email account will no longer work. To continue to see all your messages, follow the instructions below.
How to remove forwards in Outlook
- On the Home Menu - Select Rules
- Manage Rules and Alerts
- Click through each rule to locate the rule with “forward the message to” <non-UB email address>
- One the rule is located, either
- Uncheck the checkbox to the left and click Apply or
- Delete the rule by clicking the Delete button at the top of the Rules and Alert window.
How to remove forwards in Outlook on the web
- Go to ubmail.buffalo.edu in a web browser
- Log into you UBmail account
- Click the Setting Gear icon in upper right
- Click View all Outlook settings (at the bottom of the list)
- Select Mail > Rules.
- Review the rules, looking for “forward the message to” <non-UB email address>
- Click the Delete (trash can icon) next to the rule
- Click OK to confirm the deletion
What additional features does this new email system have?
UBmail (Exchange Online) features include
Do I still need to log in every 90 days to keep my UBmail active?
Yes. If you don’t log in every 90 days, email delivery to and from your @buffalo.edu will be suspended. Six months from that date, your mailbox and contents will be deleted. You must log in through ubmail.buffalo.edu.
Will I lose any email messages?
As part of the mailbox migration to Exchange Online you will not lose any messages. If you are not seeing a message you expected, look in your Junk Folder.
What if I don’t want to keep my @buffalo.edu email?
- We recommend you set up an Out of Office reply on your account notifying your contacts that you will be changing your email. See Send automatic out of office replies from Outlook
- Log into or contact any websites that use your @buffalo.edu email address as a login or username, and replace your @buffalo.edu address with a current email address
- Manually forward messages you want to keep to your new email address
Does this change give me access to the other Office 365 products?