To mitigate risk of exposure, take the following precautions during the COVID-19 positive individual's isolation period (typically 5 full days following symptom onset or test date):
- If someone you live with has tested positive for COVID-19, you are not required to quarantine.
- Wear a high-quality mask around the COVID-positive individual at all times, except when sleeping.
- Get tested. Because the virus can take days to incubate, even if asymptomatic, you should test immediately upon learning your roommate is positive and then several days later. Test immediately if you become symptomatic.
- Limit time at home / in your room: consider studying in the library, community center, or residential lounge, and gathering with friends outside of residential rooms.
- Take extra precautions, such as washing your hands often and cleaning shared, high-touch surfaces. If able, keep windows open to facilitate air circulation.
- Some roommates of COVID-19 positive students may feel more comfortable temporarily relocating – students may choose to stay with a friend or go to a hotel at their own expense.