Teaching, Research and Graduate Assistants

If you are a TA, GA or RA, you may be eligible for health insurance.

You will be automatically enrolled in the student health insurance until you have proper documentation filled in and returned to the Student Health Insurance Office; this documentation should be available from human resources at your Teaching Assistant (TA), Graduate Assistant (GA) or Research Assistant (RA) office.

If You Have Your Own Health Insurance — Request a Waiver

If you are a TA, RA or GA with your own private health insurance, please follow the waiver process.

Enrollment as a TA, GA or RA

All processes involved with TA, GA, or RA insurance are handled by your union. Contact the following for more information visit the HR website or call your benefits specialist:

TA and GA


RA (Research Funded Positions)

  • Zachary Jenney, 716-645-4439 / zjenney@buffalo.edu
  • Sean O'Brien, 716-645-4485 / sobrien2@buffalo.edu

After Your Assistantship Ends

You may be eligible for other insurance even when you are no longer a TA, GA or RA. Please select one of the following categories to learn more.

Need Help?

For help understanding and navigating the health insurance process.

1 Capen
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-2100

Phone: (716) 645-3036; Fax: (716) 645-3948