Transfer Animals

To report newly weaned, unweaned used, investigator transfer of animals and the transfer of animals from other sources or institutions, please complete a transfer form.

You need to report newly weaned animals on a monthly basis so the animals can be charged against the investigator's IACUC number. Please leave completed forms:

  • With the floor supervisor; or
  • Send to the CM-LAF Main Office at 116 BEB.

Occasionally, unassigned animals are available at CM-LAF. To purchase animals from the unassigned pool, please complete an Unassigned Animal form and submit it to the CM-LAF Purchasing Office at 220 BEB. Once we receive the completed form, we will assign the animals and add them to the investigator's inventory.

Internal Animal Transfers/Requests

External Animal Transfers (Imports) from other Institutions


This provides guidance for the acquisition of rodents from sources other than LAF approved Vendors.  On occasion there is a need to obtain and maintain rodents from either a “non-approved” commercial vendor, from other research facilities or wild caught. In order to protect our pathogen-free colonies from exposure to new pathogens, the following procedures are to be followed.

A.    Justification of need and health concerns must be reviewed by the CMLAF veterinarian. The following must be submitted in written form:

  • Investigator must scientifically justify the need and include the lack of alternative specific-pathogen-free sources to the IACUC. Cost alone should not be considered adequate justification.
  • The source facility must provide an adequate health history of the specific colony to the CMLAF Import/Export Manager. The name, address and telephone number of the attending veterinarian at the source should also be provided.
  • Rodents will undergo importation and quarantine as outlined in SOP #2D9 “Quarantine testing for Rodents Acquired from Non-Approved Sources”
  • Rodents must demonstrate free from known zoonotic pathogens; e.g., Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus.
  • Rodents originating from outside the United States (international imports) must be serologically tested free from Hantaan virus.
  • Wild-caught rodents must be tested directly for Hantaan virus and parasites.

B.      A “Request to Import from Non-Commercial Sources” form must be completed and submitted to the Import/Export Coordinator.  Procedures outlined in SOP # 1D3 “Animal Importation” are followed for Importation of animals.

Animal Transfers (Exports) to other Institutions

If animals must be shipped from a UB CMLAF facility to another, outside institution, a “Request to Export Rodents” form must be completed and submitted to the Import/Export Coordinator (  The Shipping Coordinator, Veterinarian, PI, and Lab Contact on the form should be completed with the contact information of the institution where the animals will be shipped to.  A flat fee per 10 animals will apply.