SEVIS Transfer

If you plan to transfer from UB to another school or vice versa, you may need a SEVIS Transfer.


A SEVIS transfer is the process of moving your SEVIS record from your current school to a new school, after you are admitted. Admission to a new school alone does not automatically allow an F-1 student to begin studies at another school. A SEVIS Transfer, if eligible, has several benefits:

  • You do not pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again
  • You can remain in the U.S. in between programs (if there is less than 5 months between the end of your current program and the start of your new program, more details below.)
  • You maintain the same SEVIS ID number 
  • If your F-1 visa is still valid, you can continue to use it until its expiration date.  It is OK if your old school's name is on your visa.
  • You may travel in between programs and are not subject to the 30-day entry restriction (entering no earlier than 30 days before your program starts).

A SEVIS transfer is recommended in the following situations:

  • If you graduate from a U.S. high school and plan to study at UB (Transfer IN) .
  • If you are a current student at another U.S. school and plan to continue studies at UB (Transfer IN)
  • If you are a current UB student and plan to continue studies at another U.S. school (Transfer OUT)
  • Former UB students currently on Optional Practical Training (Post-Completion, STEM or Cap Gap) who plan to resume studies at another U.S. school. (Transfer OUT)

If you are a UB student who has a valid UB I-20 and you will continue studies in a new degree program at UB, a SEVIS transfer is not needed. Instead, you should be issued a "Change of Education Level" I-20 after your admission is finalized and you have provided the necessary documents. Your change of education level I-20 must be issued before the end of your 60-day grace period.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must be maintaining F-1 status
  • You must have an offer of admission from a new school
  • If you already graduated or completed OPT, you must request the SEVIS transfer within your 60-day grace period
  • The start of classes at your new school must be within 5 months of one of the following:
    • Academic program completion at UB
    • Last day of enrollment at UB (if not graduating from UB)
    • OPT authorization end date (end date on EAD)
    • For students who are transferring before the end of their OPT, the start of classes must be within 5 months of the requested SEVIS I-20 transfer/release date

If the period of time between F-1 activities is longer than 5 months, your SEVIS record is not eligible for transfer. Your new school must issue a new initial I-20 with a new SEVIS number.

SEVIS Transfer Out

This section is for F-1 visa holders with a valid UB issued I-20. You must be a current UB student or UB student currently on OPT to request a SEVIS transfer out.

Frequently Asked Questions