U.S. Visa

Here you will find information about applying for non-immigrant U.S. visas for international students.

Visa Links

What is a Non-Immigrant U.S. Visa?

A non-immigrant U.S. visa is an entry permit for individuals coming to the U.S. temporarily for specific purposes such as study or work. It is issued by the U.S. Department of State and is stamped in your passport. It allows you to request permission to enter the U.S. at a U.S. Port of Entry.

A visa alone does not guarantee entry into the U.S. You must also carry your other documents, including valid passport, and valid I-20, DS-2019 or I-797 Approval Notice.

What if the information on my visa stamp is for a previous SEVIS ID?

If you have a valid F-1 visa stamp in your passport, you may be able to use that stamp to re-enter the United States. You are encouraged to contact the closest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country to inquire as to whether or not you may use a visa stamp associated with your previous SEVIS record with a new document to enter the United States. Please note that Customs and Border Protection makes the final decision on your eligibility to enter the U.S. and can deny entry.

Non-Immigrant Intent

All applicants for F or J visas are required to demonstrate their intent to return to their home country following the completion of their studies or scholarly activities. There are several ways you can demonstrate your intent to return home:

  • Explain clearly how you intend to utilize your degree or research experience at home after you finish your program
  • Bring proof of ownership of any property (e.g. land, house, apartment) in your home country
  • Bring bank statements for accounts you maintain in your home country
  • Bring proof of a job offer or continuing employment in your home country
  • Bring proof of your family's ties to your home country (e.g. property, business ownership, bank accounts or other assets)

For additional information about applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa, please visit the Department of State website.

Where to Get a U.S. Visa

You must obtain a U.S. visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S.

Applying in Canada

While it is always recommended that you apply for a U.S. visa in your home country, some people apply in Canada. For information on applying for a U.S. visa in Canada, please refer to the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Canada's website.

If you decide to apply for your U.S. Visa in Canada, please note that you may have to wait in Canada while your visa application is pending. In addition, if your application is denied, you will not be able to return to the U.S.

Processing Times

June, July, and August are the busiest months in most U.S. Consulates so interview appointments may be difficult to obtain during that period.

Due to background checks, mandatory visa interviews and increased scrutiny of individuals studying or doing research in “sensitive fields,” you should be prepared for delays in the processing of your visa application. If your field of study or research is in a sensitive field, you should obtain a letter from your professor explaining the nature of your studies or research. This letter should be written in simple language so it can be easily understood by non-specialists.

Also, if you violated your previous immigration status, have applied for Lawful Permanent Residence in the U.S. or have a criminal record, your application for a new visa will be subject to additional scrutiny or denial.

Application Process

Documents Needed for F-1 Student Visa or J-1 Student Visa Applications

The U.S. Department of State website lists the forms, documents, etc. which are required for the U.S. visa application. It is important that you bring everything to your visa interview to avoid needless delays in the processing of your application.

How Do I Apply for an F-1 Student Visa or J-1 Student Visa?

Step 1.

Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160). When you upload your photo, be sure it conforms to the Photograph Requirements. Print the application confirmation page for your interview. 

Step 2.

Pay the nonrefundable Visa Application (MRV) Fee. Note: When your visa is issued, you may also be required to pay the Reciprocal Visa Issuance Fee. Check the Visa Reciprocity Table to see if you are required to pay this fee. 

Step 3.

(If required) Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee online, by mail or by Western Union. If you already paid the SEVIS Fee and don't know if you need to pay it again, please read SEVIS Fee (for F-1 students), SEVIS Fee (for J-1 students and scholars) or SEVIS I-901 Fee. For additional information, read SEVIS I-901 Fee Frequently Asked Questions.

What Should I Bring to My Visa Interview?

  • Valid passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond the intended duration of your visit to the U.S.)
  • Form I-20, Form DS-2019 or I-797 Approval Notice
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) confirmation page
  • One photograph which meets the Photograph Requirements
  • Receipt to show payment of the Visa Application (MRV) Fee
  • Visa issuance fee (if required)
  • (If required) Proof of payment of SEVIS Fee (Form I-901) 
    • F-1 students and J-1 Exchange Visitors only
  • Transcripts and diplomas from current and/or previous institutions
  • Original score reports of standardized tests required by the school (e.g. TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT) 
    • Students only
  • Financial evidence showing sufficient funds to cover educational and living expenses
  • Documents showing your “non-immigrant intent” (ie. documents which help to prove your ties to your home country and verify that you have no intentions of immigrating to the U.S. )
  • Other requirements as determined by your U.S. Consulate

Renewing a U.S. Student Visa

Please refer to the list of documents above for U.S. visa applications. In addition to these documents, you should bring your UB transcripts. We also recommend that you print out an Enrollment Verification Certificate from the HUB Student Center for additional verification of your full-time student status.

If you have been out of the U.S. for more than 5 months, you may need to pay the SEVIS fee again. Please review the SEVIS I-901 Fee and SEVIS I-901 Fee FAQ links below to determine whether or not you are required to pay the SEVIS fee.

For additional requirements, please contact the U.S. Consulate or Embassy where you will apply for your visa.