Visa Information for Accepted Students

We can't wait to see you in Buffalo! Use these pages to help plan your arrival.

Arriving in the U.S.

Preparing Immigration Documents

You will need to carry the documents listed below with you. Do not pack them in your luggage because you will need to show them to the immigration inspector when you enter the U.S.

  • Passport
  • U.S. Visa Stamp
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Proof of SEVIS Fee payment
  • Financial Documents

Traveling with Dependents

If your dependents will accompany you to the U.S., we recommend that they carry the following documents (in addition to their immigration documents):
  • Marriage certificate (for spouse)
  • Birth certificate(s) (for children)
  • Health and immunization records

Going Through Customs

First, after deplaning you will proceed to passport control.

  • An immigration officer will inspect your passport, U.S. visa stamp, I-20 or DS-2019, and financial documentation.
  • You will provide fingerprints and be photographed.
  • Finally, once admitted to the U.S., you will be issued an I-94. 
    • Your I-94 will likely be electronic. To view and print your I-94, visit CBP's website.

Second, you will proceed to the baggage claim area and go through customs.

  • At your first city of arrival in the U.S., you will collect your checked baggage (even if this city is not your final destination).
  • A customs inspector may examine your luggage to see what you are bringing into the U.S.
  • It is important to declare certain items at the border, including plants, certain foods and large amounts of money.
  • You must declare to the officer any amount of money above $10,000 that you are carrying. This includes cash, money order, certified check, travelers’ checks or letter of credit. If you don’t, it can be seized.
  • After exiting the customs area, you will place your baggage on the "re-check" belt or give it to the baggage attendant (your bags will then continue to Buffalo or to your final destination).
Always be honest

Never make false statements to a border officer as the penalty for doing so is very severe.

Visa Information

  • For NEW Students
    Select this page if you are coming to UB from outside of the United States.
  • For TRANSFER Students
    Select this page if you are coming to UB from a U.S. high school, college or university.
  • For CURRENT Students
    Select this page if you are already a student at UB and are moving to a new degree program.


The information contained in this website is provided as a service to the international students, faculty, staff, employees and administrators of the University at Buffalo, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax or other matter. We try to provide useful information, but we make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this website or any associated site. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Neither the University at Buffalo nor the Office of International Student Services is responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this website, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.