F-1 & J-1 Travel

Travel Alerts and Warnings

Travel during the ongoing COVID pandemic can be risky.  Travel restrictions/bans, quarantines, and COVID vaccine requirements are possible. The U.S. Embassies and Consulates in some countries have also not yet resumed routine visa processing. If you choose to travel internationally, be prepared and plan ahead for possible delays and disruptions.  Regularly review our travel alerts information, as well as the other travel resources mentioned below.

If you decide to travel, be sure that you have the required documents for travel outside the U.S.  and check page 2 of your I-20  for a valid travel endorsement signature (the signature is valid for one year for enrolled students).

Non-immigrant air travelers to the United States must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to the U.S., with only limited exceptions. Review the CDC Air Travel to the US Requirements for additional details.

Please consider carefully your desire to travel internationally.

Documents Needed For Travel

Click on the section below that applies to you to learn more

Important Travel Considerations and Frequently Asked Questions

Looking for more information?


The information contained in this web site is provided as a service to the international students, faculty, staff, employees and administrators of the University at Buffalo, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax or other matter. We try to provide useful information, but we make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site or any associated site. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Neither the University at Buffalo nor the Office of International Student Services is responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this website, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.