Travel Endorsement Information

What is a travel endorsement?

A travel endorsement is a signature from your Designated School Official (ISS advisor) on your I-20 or DS-2019. The signature serves as confirmation that you are maintaining F-1 or J-1 status. A valid travel endorsement is required for re-entry to the U.S., including trips to Canada. 

How can I check to see if I have a valid travel endorsement?

Newly arrived students will not have a travel endorsement signature on their documents. It is important to request the travel endorsement before planning international travel!

F-1 students can find the travel endorsement section on their I-20, bottom of page 2.

  • Each signature is valid for 1 year if you are an enrolled student, or 6 months if you are on Post-Completion OPT/OPT STEM Extension.
Example Travel Endorsement section on Page 2 of an I-20.

J-1 Students can find the travel endorsement section on their DS-2019, page 1, lower right corner.

  • Each signature is valid for 1 year for enrolled students and those on Academic Training.
Example travel validation section on a DS-2019.

How do I request a new travel endorsement?

It is important to request a travel endorsement at least 10 business days before your trip. To request a travel endorsement, follow the instructions below: 

To request a Travel Endorsement on your I-20/DS-2019

  1. Log in to UB Global using your UBIT Name and Password.  
  2. Find your e-form.
    • Enrolled F-1 students click on “F-1 Student Services” 
    • J-1 students click on “J-1 Student Services”
    • Students on OPT should click on "Optional Practical Training"
  3. Select the “Travel Endorsement Request” e-form (F-1 students) or the "Travel Validation Request" eform (J-1 students)
  4. Complete and submit the e-form. 
  5. ISS will issue a new I-20 or DS-2019 for travel. The I-20 will be emailed to your UB email address. The DS-2019 will be available for pick up in the ISS office or can be mailed to you.  

Check our e-form processing page for current processing times and plan accordingly.