The International Student Fee is allocated to the university's central fund to enhance student support across campus. All active degree-seeking F-1 and J-1 international students are required to pay a fee of $100 each Fall and Spring semester they are enrolled in classes at the University at Buffalo. The fee is not assessed during summer or winter term.
Some students are exempt from the International Student Fee. These groups are:
- non-matriculated/non-degree students
- students in the non-credit Intensive English Program of UB's English Language Institute
- exchange students studying at UB under specific institutional partner agreements (not all exchange students are exempt from the fee.)
- students who drop all classes by the published liability deadline for University fees (also known as the end of the drop/add period). A calendar of liability dates is available on Student Accounts' website.
- students who change their immigration status and no longer hold F-1 or J-1 status (documentation confirming your new status must be submitted to ISS prior to the end of add/drop and you must file an exemption request (see below) to qualify for a fee exemption for that semester.)
If you believe you were charged the International Student Fee in error, complete the form below. Only requests related to the exemptions above will be considered.
The deadline to file an exemption request for Spring 2023 is Friday, March 10 at 5:00 pm. No request after this date will be accepted.
If you are filing for an exemption request due to a change in your immigration status, your deadline to request an exemption is the last day of add/drop, Monday, February 6 at 5:00 pm.