Immigration and Visa Information for Continuing UB Students

Congratulations! You’re ready for the next step in your UB education. Here you can find common questions regarding immigration and visas for continuing students.

Can I use my current student visa if it is still valid?

If you are already in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you can enter the U.S. to resume study at UB using the same visa.

Visas are entry permits that allow you to enter the U.S. from anywhere in the world, if your visa and number of entries have not expired, and if all of your other immigration documents are in order. Visas do not determine how long you can stay in the U.S., so, unless you travel abroad before joining UB, you can study at UB without renewing your visa even if it has expired.

Do I have to pay the SEVIS fee again?

If you have continually maintained your F-1 or J-1 status or were outside the U.S. for fewer than five months, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again. However, if you failed to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status or were outside the U.S. for more than five months not on authorized overseas study, you will have to pay the SEVIS fee again.

What if I am on Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

Your OPT work authorization will automatically end when you start studying in your new degree program.

You can study part time while on OPT as long as you are not admitted to a new degree program at UB.

If you apply to a new degree program and change your mind after you receive admission to the program, inform International Student Services.