Leaving UB

If you're nearing the end of your time at UB, we hope your time here has been productive and enjoyable. Find out more about your next steps after you leave.

Before Completing Your Program

If you are not graduating, but need to leave UB for more than a week or two read here to ensure that you are compliant with UB and immigration requirements. 

If you hope to return to UB in the future:

If you hope to return to UB in the future, and can meet the eligibility requirements for a Leave of Absence, please refer to the Leave of Absence information for instructions on how to apply.

If you are not eligible for a Leave of Absence, you must follow the instructions below to submit the “Request to End F-1 Status” e-form.

If you are leaving UB and do not intend to return or have been Academically Dismissed:

You must notify ISS in a timely manner.

Here is how:

  • If you will not register for a required fall or spring semester, complete the “Request to End F-1 Status" e-form found in UB Global before the end of add/drop.
  • If resigning classes in the middle of the semester, you must submit the “Request to End F-1 Status" e-form before you resign. Failure to notify ISS in a timely manner will result in a negative SEVIS termination reason.
  • Before leaving, you must also officially notify the University. Refer to the Registrar's Leaving UB page.

Please be aware that if you are leaving UB but will not complete your degree program, then you are not eligible for the 60-day grace period.

After Completing Your Program

Congratulations on your graduation! Below you will find important information on what to do next…

How do I participate in Commencement and receive my diploma?

Specific steps must be taken to apply for graduation, participate in the Commencement Ceremony and ensure that your diploma will be mailed to the correct address.

How long can I stay in the U.S.?

If you do not apply for OPT, you have a 60-day grace period after your program end date to remain in the U.S. The grace period is meant for travel within the U.S. and preparation to depart the U.S. If you depart the U.S. during your 60-day grace period (including trips to Canada and Mexico) you are not eligible to reenter with your I-20.  

If you graduate before the Program End Date on your I-20, ISS will shorten your program end date so it matches your degree conferral date.

If I'm leaving the U.S. and will not return as an F-1 student, do I need to do anything?

Canadian citizens, and anyone with a paper Form I-94 must surrender their I-94 to the airline officials or officials at the land border when leaving the U.S.

If you have an electronic I-94, there is no need to turn in any documentation when you leave.  

We always recommend that you keep copies of all of your past immigration documents. They will remain an important piece of your immigration history here in the U.S.

Do you want to stay in the U.S. beyond your grace period?

If yes, it's only possible in these situations:

You are admitted to a new school in the U.S. or to a new degree program at UB.

  • If moving to a new school in the U.S., you must request a SEVIS transfer before the end of your grace period and you must begin studies at your new school within 5 months of your last day of classes at UB. Read more about SEVIS Transfer.
  • If you are beginning a new degree program at UB, your new I-20 must be issued within your 60-day grace period. You must begin your new program within 5 months of your last day of classes.

You want to work in your field of study after completing your degree.

  • Read about Post-Completion OPT. ISS recommends applying early (90 days before program end date), but you can apply during your grace period.

You change your immigration status.

  • Notify ISS if your immigration status changes by completing the “Request to End F-1 Status” e-form found in UB Global.

Can I work on-campus after I graduate?

Your on-campus work eligibility ends when you graduate. You are permitted to work on-campus until your I-20 program end date or degree conferral (whichever happens first).

Do your friends and family want to visit you before you leave?

If they are not eligible for the visa waiver program (ESTA), they may apply for the B-2 Visitor Visa

A letter from ISS is not needed; instead an invitation letter written by you is best

Do I have to file US taxes after I leave?

Yes. If you were present in the US for any part of the calendar year, you have a tax filing requirement. You can continue to use our tax preparation software as an alumni. Check our tax page for links to the relevant resources.

If you worked in your last year at UB, be sure to give your new address to your employer. This way, they can mail your W-2 form to you.

If you did not work during your time in the U.S., you are still required to submit Form 8843. You can file Form 8843 from outside the U.S., if needed. More information can be found here.

How can I stay connected to UB?