On-Campus Employment

F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus during their academic program if they are maintaining their F-1 status. The work does not need to be related to the student’s field of study and no special authorization is needed; however, there are rules, which are explained below.

What is On-Campus Work?

  • On-campus employment includes work done as a teaching, research or graduate assistant as well as jobs in the university library, dining facilities located on campus, laboratories, and administrative offices.
  • On-campus also includes employment with on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as stores or restaurants located at the University.


  • You must be maintaining status
  • You must be employed by an employer located on-campus and in job that meets the requirements listed above.
  • The work takes place before completing your degree. F-1 students are not permitted to work on-campus after their I-20 program end date.
  • You cannot exceed the number of hours you are permitted to work (see Time Limits below)
  • International students are not eligible for work-study jobs. The work-study program is for domestic students only. 
  • Part-time Canadian Border Commuters are not eligible to work on-campus. 

On-Campus Work Start & End Dates

  • For students with an "initial" attendance I-20, work cannot begin more than 30 days before the Program Start Date on your I-20.
  • Students who completed a degree at UB and who will continue at UB in a new degree program are permitted to work during the break between semesters. 
    • For example: Student completes degree in Spring and has a new degree program starting in Fall = student can work on campus during the summer.
  • Students who transfer in to UB from another U.S. school cannot begin work more than 30 days before the Program Start Date on their I-20.

Time Limits

During the Fall/Spring semesters:

Part-Time (20 hours per week or less) is permitted.

During your annual vacation (summer) or winter term:

Full-Time (more than 20 hours per week) is permitted.

On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during the summer, if summer is your final semester.

More than one on-campus job is permitted, so long as you do not exceed the permitted number of hours per week explained above.

Can I participate in CPT and work on-campus at the same time?

F-1 regulations do not prohibit a student from working on-campus while also participating in a CPT-authorized off-campus internship. The student's responsibility is to ensure that academic progress remains their primary objective.

On-Campus Employment Expiration

Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:

  • When you complete degree requirements. You may not work on campus after your I-20 program end date or degree conferral (whichever happens first).
    • You may not work on campus after you degree conferral, even if your I-20 program end date is in the future.   
  • If you transfer to another university; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record is released to the new school.
  • If you violate your F-1 status.

Social Security Numbers

Any student who will work in the U.S. must apply for a Social Security Number. The employer must use the SSN to report wages and taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Social Security Administration (SSA). F-1 students are eligible to apply for an SSN after they have received an offer of employment that meets SSA standards. Please read our Social Security page for information on how to apply.

After receiving your SSN, you must report it to the University using Form W-9(S).

Questions on submitting your Form W-9(S)?

Contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance.

Finding On-Campus Jobs

We recommend using the Career Design Center's job search tool. This database advertises both on-campus and off-campus jobs. Filter your search to only look for on-campus jobs, since off-campus work requires separate authorization. The Career Design Center website also offers helpful tips for your job search, how to apply, accept an offer and more.