Previously housed on the South Campus in what is now the Abbott Health Sciences Library, the Lockwood Memorial Library houses a cybrary site for computer access and one of the finest collections of books, periodicals, and government documents in New York. The library is fully equipped for research in the information age, supplementing its paper collections and comfortable study carrels with cutting-edge electronic media and engaging, tech-savvy staff members.
Thomas B. Lockwood (1873-1947) was a Buffalo attorney who served on the University Council for 28 years. A legendary book lover, he amassed what was known as the finest collection of rare books, first editions and manuscripts in the region. The Lockwood family generously contributed $400,000 toward the original Lockwood library-now the Health Sciences Library in Abbott Hall on the South Campus (1933). The Lockwood Memorial Library name was placed on the new library, in recognition of the original endowment.