Furnas Hall

  • Furnas Hall.
  • Overview

    Facility
    FURNAS
    Number
    A250
    Function
    Academic / Research
    Gross Square Feet
    110,296
    Construction Cost
    $8,827,000
    Completed
    June, 1977
    Architect
    Marcel Breuer & Associates And Cannon Design
  • Function

    Furnas Hall is a ten-story structure that houses the Departments of Chemical Engineering and Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and provides space for systems design research and an interaction computation laboratory with process computers.

  • Namesake

    FURNAS.

    Clifford C. Furnas (1900-1969) a chemical engineer, metallurgist, aviator researcher, and Olympic athlete, was a primary force in the negotiations and decision to merge the private University of Buffalo with the State University of New York. Under his direction as a chancellor (1954-62) and subsequently as president of SUNY at Buffalo (1962-66), Furnas undertook an extensive program of expansion and enrichment to meet the growing educational needs of Western New York. 22 new buildings were erected, the faculty doubled in size from 1,200 to 2,400, research funds increased substantially, and the UB Foundation was established.

    Claude E. Puffer served as Acting Chancellor from December 5, 1955 to February 1, 1957 while Chancellor Furnas served as Assistant Secretary of Defense for the United States.