Operating System: Windows, Mac, iOS and Android
Applies To: UB faculty, staff and students
Last Updated: November 27, 2017
If it's your first time using Panopto, go to Download and Install Panopto. Otherwise, locate your video.
- Go to the folder it's been saved into in Panopto or UBlearns.
- If it's an offline recording, launch the Panopto client and locate your recording under Mange My Recordings.
There are 8 sections of the viewer.
- At the top is the information bar which shows you the name and data of the session as well as the folder the session belongs to. The help dropdown and sign out button are also found in the information bar.
- The upper right displays the primary video and/or audio stream.
- Below the primary video is Search this recording.
- Below the Search this recording is Notes, Bookmarks and Discussion. You may also see Captions and Contents if you selected Capture PowerPoint (Windows) or Keynote (Mac) which will auto-generate. Otherwise, you can manually create it.
- Secondary video including Screen capture and PowerPoint is located on the left.
- Below the secondary video is the player.
- Below the player is the timestamped thumbnails for navigation. Only available if primary and secondary sources are recorded.
- Stream swap (displayed as right and left arrows) in the interactive video player, allows you to swap position of the primary and secondary video streams.
The Panopto player lets you seek through your recording as well as allowing you to control what you see. The player has 8 actions that allow you to control how you view the recording.
- Starting from the left, the first control is the play/pause button, clicking this will pause or play the recording. You can also click any stream and it will pause or play the recording.
- Next is the skip back button. This button will rewind 10 seconds and play from there. This is useful when you miss something.
- The next part of the player is the progress bar. This lets you know where you are at viewing the recording. You can drag the indicator to quickly seek to a specific point in the recording.
- Next is the volume bar which controls the level the audio is outputted. Click on the speaker to bring up the slider.
- The Quality icon next to the progress bar will allow you to choose your streaming quality. Your download speed will also show on this bar.
- Next you will see the stream picker. If your viewing a session with multiple streams, you can pick which one you see.
- The last part of the player allows you to hide the thumbnails and increase the size of whichever stream you have selected. Once hidden you can click it again to show the thumbnails.
- Lastly you can maximize either stream by hovering over it and clicking the expand button. Once in Full Screen mode you can click the esc key or click the link to return to the normal viewer.
Check out Panopto’s troubleshooting guide and make sure your device meets the hardware requirements.
Learn about variable speed playback from Panopto.