Operating System: Windows, Mac, iOS and Android
Applies To: UB faculty, staff and students
Last Updated: November 27, 2017
If it's your first time using Panopto, go to Download and Install Panopto. Otherwise,
locate your video.
- Go to the folder it's been saved into in Panopto or
- If it's an offline recording, launch the Panopto client
and locate your recording under Mange My Recordings.
There are 7 sections of the viewer.
- At the top is the information bar which shows you the
name and data of the session as well as the folder the session
belongs to. The help dropdown and sign out button are also found in
the information bar.
- The upper right displays the primary video and/or
- Below the primary video is Search this recording.
- Below the Search this recording is Notes, Bookmarks and
Discussion. You may also see Contents including
Captions if you selected Capture PowerPoint (Windows) or
Keynote (Mac) which will auto-generate. Otherwise, you must
manually create it.
- Secondary video including Screen capture and PowerPoint
is located on the left.
- Below the secondary video is the player.
- Below the player is the timestamped thumbnails for
navigation. Only available if primary and secondary sources are
The Panopto player lets you seek through your recording as well
as allowing you to control what you see. The player has 8
actions that allow you to control how you view the recording.
- Starting from the left, the first control is the
play/pause button, clicking this will pause or play the
recording. You can also click any stream and it will pause or play
- Next is the volume bar which controls the level the
audio is outputted. Click on the speaker to bring up the
- Next is the skip back button. This button will rewind 10
seconds and play from there. This is useful when you miss
- The next part of the player is the progress bar. This
lets you know where you are at viewing the recording. You can drag
the indicator to quickly seek to a specific point in the
- The Quality icon next to the progress bar will allow you
to choose your streaming quality. Your download speed will also
show on this bar.
- Next you will see the stream picker. If your viewing a
session with multiple streams, you can pick which one you see.
- The last part of the player allows you to hide the
thumbnails and increase the size of whichever stream you
have selected. Once hidden you can click it again to show the
- Lastly you can maximize either stream by hovering over
it and clicking the expand button. Once in Full Screen mode you can
click the esc key or click the link to return to the normal
Check out Panopto’s troubleshooting
guide and make sure your device meets the hardware
Learn about variable
speed playback from Panopto.