You can submit reimbursement for your prepaid airfare expenses purchased in advance of a trip. However, first be sure to confirm with your department that this is allowed.
How to Submit Reimbursement for Prepaid Airfare
1. Create a New Expense Report
On the report header, complete all required fields in red:
- For Report Type, choose Prepaid Airfare Only.
- For Start and End Dates, enter the date you purchased the airfare ticket.
- For Starting Address and Expense Destination Addresses, enter your home or office address.
- For Start and End Times, enter the time you purchased the airfare ticket.
- For more information, refer to the tip sheet Complete the Expense Report Header.
- When finished, click Next.
- In the pop up window, Is this a travel reimbursement? click No:
- While airfare is a travel expense, click No to skip creating a travel itinerary. You will do this on a new expense report when you return from your trip.
2. Submit Reimbursement for Prepaid Airfare
To submit reimbursement for prepaid airfare, search and select the expense type Airfare. Complete the required fields in red:
- For Transaction Date, enter the date you purchased the airfare ticket.
- For Report/Trip Purpose, select a reason.
- For Vendor, select a vendor from the dropdown menu or type it in the field.
- For Airline Travel Service Code, select from the dropdown menu.
- For Amount, enter the amount you are submitting for reimbursement.
- Click the Attach Receipt button to upload your receipt.
- When finished, click Save.
- Also be sure to attach your airfare itinerary and purpose of travel documentation (agenda, conference material) as supporting documentation to confirm the dates and times of your trip.
- Click Receipts, then click Attach Receipt Images.
- Click Browse to select the files, then click Upload.
3. After Your Trip, Create a New Expense Report for Remaining Expenses
- After your trip, create a new expense report to submit your remaining allowable travel expenses for reimbursement.
- On the report header in the Comment field, be sure to state that your prepaid airfare was already reimbursed on another report.