Reporting Alleged Copyright Infringement

The University at Buffalo requires its faculty, staff, students and affiliates utilizing university infrastructure to comply with U.S. copyright laws. The University at Buffalo reserves the right to remove or limit access to material posted on University-owned computers if it is alleged that U.S. copyright laws have been violated. If the University determines that U.S. copyright laws have in fact been violated, the infringing material will be permanently removed.

Reporting Infringement

To report alleged copyright infringements on University at Buffalo Web sites, please contact:

UB Information Security Office
201 Computing Center
Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: 716-645-6997

In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the University at Buffalo has designated an agent to receive notifications of claimed copyright infringement. The DMCA requires that all claims of infringement be in writing and include:

  1. A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or person designated to act on his/her behalf
  2. Identification of the allegedly infringed copyrighted work, including:
    • Identity of the copyright owner, if not the complainant
    • Contact information for the complainant or person designated to act on his/her behalf, including address, telephone number and, if available, email address
    • Citation of the copyrighted work (author/creator, title/description, copyright date)
    • Statement of copyright ownership
  3. Identification of the host Web site and sufficient information to locate it including:
    • URL (Web address).
    • Date, time, and time zone the Web site was observed
  4. The complainant must provide:
    • A statement that the complainant has a good faith belief that the use of the material is not authorized by the copyright owner or the law
    • A statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that the complainant is authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner
Still need help?

Contact the UBIT Help Center.