Learn how to recognize and avoid common online scams designed to steal money or your identity.
- Verify the offer by contacting the company or sender directly
- Look up the company on the Internet, do not use the number or address in the email
- If the offer is from someone at UB, look up that person in the UB Directory and inquire about the job by sending them a new message (don't reply to the original message)
- Look for a Human Resources contact and call them to ask if this is a legitimate employment offer*
* You may be able to turn this into a positive. Tell them that you researched the company and are interested in working for them. Ask the HR person how you can apply for a position.
If you think you fell for a scam, protect yourself by stopping any further communication.
- Change any passwords on accounts that were involved in the scam
- Contact any financial institutions involved
- Make a report to your local law enforcement. If you are a member of the University at Buffalo, please contact University Police
- File a complaint at the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)
The criminal may threaten you or use your identity for another scam.