International Travel Policies and Procedures

Rachel Daws, Amrita Unviersity, India.

MPH/MSW student, Rachel Daws, working with colleagues from Amrita University, India

If you are granted funding from the Community for Global Health Equity to support international student research, clinical or service activities, you are required to comply with the International Travel Policies listed below. Failure to comply with these policies before traveling will result in a loss of your travel funds.

International Travel Policies

  1. If applicable, obtain approval for international travel from your program director and register for any academic credits that may be available.
  2. If you are NOT traveling with a supervising UB faculty member, send the following information to Trevor Poag, director of global learning, at or via phone at 716-645-2368: Your name, country of destination, time period for travel, department and school of record. 
  3. Identify a supervising faculty mentor who will be responsible for your international research experience. Faculty mentors must sign the Supervising Faculty Member Responsibilities Form below.
  4. Submit the following completed and signed documents to the CGHE administrative coordinator, Jessica Scates, in 218 Hayes Hall:  Registration Form, International Rotation Student Agreement and Release Form, Attestation Statement, and Student Health Form. 
  5. Schedule a trip-specific orientation with the administrative coordinator. Orientations cover culture, health, safety, and security for your destination country. 
  6. Check your health insurance policy to determine if immunizations/prophylactic medications are covered. Schedule an appointment with your provider or the University’s Travel Clinic. Recommended health precautions, immunizations, and/or prophylactic medications can be found at the University Travel Clinic or on the CDC and Department of State websites.
  7. SUNY requires all students traveling abroad to acquire medical insurance AND MEDEX (Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance). Contact your supervising faculty member to see if financial support is available. (If you have private insurance that sufficiently covers health costs outside of the United States -- most insurance policies do not provide adequate coverage for international travel -- submit the study-abroad waiver-of-insurance form at least 2 months in advance of travel to assure coverage is in place upon departure.)
  8. Ensure that your passport will be valid for six months beyond the end of your planned travel. If your passport will expire before or during your planned travel you must apply for a passport renewal with the U.S. State Department. Non-U.S. citizens should allow enough time for visa processing, which can be complicated. Ensure you have the correct paperwork to re-enter the U.S.
  9. Some countries may require you to obtain a visa in order to enter the country. Information about visas can be obtained from the embassy or consulate for your destination country.

Required Forms for International Student Travel Funded by the Community for Global Health Equity

In preparation for your trip also consider:

  1. Enrolling in the Smart Travel Enrollment Program, a free service to U.S. Citizens that provides important information from Embassies about safety in your destination country, helps the Embassy contact you in an emergency, and helps family and friends get in touch in case of an emergency.
  2. Informing your bank that you will be traveling internationally and ask about international fees for cash withdrawals.
  3. Making 2 copies of each of the following important documents. Keep one copy with you, and share a copy with a trusted friend or family member. Upon arrival in your destination country, keep your original documents (and copies) stored in secure, locked location, unless needed.
        Driver’s license and identity cards
        Health insurance cards
        Credit/debit cards (Front and back)
        Immunizations and prescriptions
        Medical history of significance (allergies, major illnesses)
        Signed letter of admission to your program
        Important phone numbers for your emergency contacts: family members, program contact in country and in U.S., etc.
        Make 4 copies of your Passport I.D. and visa. Place photocopies in your luggage, carry on, within your room, and on your     person.
  4. Arranging for international communication with family, friends, and your faculty advisor by unlocking your cell phone for use in destination country, bringing an international phone, or buying a phone and purchasing a SIM card upon arrival in destination country. Communicate with destination-country contacts before leaving to understand associated costs.
  5. Purchasing travel insurance.

These travel policies were adapted from the UB Study Abroad Office and the School of Public Health and Health Professions International Policies and Procedures in collaboration with leadership from Academic Health Center Schools at UB, the Office of International Education, and the Office of Study Abroad. Content was also pulled from international travel websites from Harvard, Yale, Emory, University of Washington, University of Michigan, University of Cincinnati, and George Washington University.