On-campus residence halls and apartments close for break periods during the academic year. Make sure you know when to leave, when to return, and how to keep your safe space while you are gone.
Break Closing Summary
- Students will not have access to their rooms or belongings during the break period and should pack accordingly.
- Only students who have completed a Break Housing Application and have been approved to stay will have card swipe access to the buildings during this time.
- Residents must complete the Closing Checklist before leaving their rooms.
- Residents must complete self-checkout in the Housing Portal when leaving for winter break in December.
- Health and safety checks of all rooms will be completed over the winter break period.
Break Closing Dates
(Application opens NOV. 8)
(Application opens DEC. 1)
Resident Closing Checklist
When on-campus residence halls and apartments close over break periods there are things you need to do to keep your room safe and secure while you are away.
- All personal appliances are unplugged
- This does not include Campus Living apartment kitchen refrigerators and microwave ovens
- During fall break personal refrigerators can remain plugged in
- All perishable foods are removed from the refrigerator and disposed of
- All garbage is removed from your room/apartment and placed in designated trash receptacles
- No items are placed in direct contact with the heating units in your space (radiators, in-wall heaters, etc.) at any time
- Items are not placed within 12" of the heating units on all sides
- All blinds are left open (students in 1st floor apartments and residence hall rooms should close their blinds)
- All windows are closed and locked
- All lights are turned off
- All apartment and bedroom doors are closed and locked
- Change or cancel scheduled perishable deliveries
- Creekside and Flickinger residents should ensure their storm doors are fully closed
- Do not turn off your heat. If you have a thermostat, set it to 68 degrees.
Remember Your Keys
Don't forget your room/apartment key when you leave. You will need it when you return.
Winter Break Self-Checkout
Upon leaving for the winter break, you may need to log into the Housing Portal to complete the self check-out process. Details about who should complete this process are below:
Complete the self-checkout process
- If you are staying in the same room for the fall and spring semesters
- and you are leaving for break at the end of the fall semester
- or at the end of an approved late stay request.
DO NOT complete the self-checkout process
- If you are approved to stay for winter break.
Checkout at your hall or area office
- If you are permanently moving out of your fall assignment.
- If you are doing a room change from the fall to spring semester.
Campus Services During Winter Break
Residence hall area and apartment village offices will have limited hours of service during the break period.
All Residence Life offices will be closed between December 24 and January 2.
- On-site staff will be on-call and available for emergencies.
- No mail or package delivery will be available during this time.
Offices are open 12/21-12/23 and 1/3-1/28, Monday-Friday
All offices are closed 1/17 in observance of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
|Office Location ||Winter Break Hours |
|Residence Hall Area Offices ||8:30am - 5:00pm |
|Apartment Village Offices ||8:30am - 5:00pm |
|Ellicott Package Room ||10:00am - 4:00pm |
- Meal Swipes will end on Tues. 12/21 at 10:30am. Dining Points will remain active and can be added using the GET app.
- Campus Dining will have limited services available during the break period.
- Campus Dining will also be providing daily mobile ordering of meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) for pick-up through the GET app. Information and menus will be emailed to students staying on campus in the coming weeks.
Parking and Transportation
Reduced transportation services are provided during the break period.
Mail and Packages
As of December 21, 2021, Campus Living will only deliver mail and packages to those student who have approval to stay in on-campus housing over the break. Regular mail delivery for all residential students will resume in January 2022.
If you have been released from your Spring 2022 housing agreement, you must complete the check out process and take everything out of your room before Wednesday, December 21 at 10 AM.