Deposit Revenue and Cash

On this page:

Cash receipts include cash (currency, coin, checks, money orders and credit card receipts) received from all sources, such as participant fees, ticket sales, damage charges, deposits and parking fines.

Cash receipts can be deposited to the following State accounts:

  • Income Fund Reimbursable (IFR)
  • Dormitory Income Fund Reimbursable (DIFR)
  • State University Tuition Reimbursable Accounts (SUTRA)

Best Practices

Cash receipts should be deposited and endorsed on a daily basis. If not feasible, you must request approval from Financial Management to have checks and cash held overnight.

The university's preferred method for receiving payments is via UB Marketplace, collection through a student account for student-related charges, electronic funds transfer (EFT), and credit or debit cards.

Lock cash and checks in a secure location (safe or lockbox) and minimize employee access.

Utilize a courier service or University Police to transport deposits centrally to Student Accounts, for either remote deposit capture (RDC) or armored car service pick-up.

Under no circumstances should you send currency or coin through campus or US mail.

Collecting Cash

Cash must be recorded as soon as it is collected. The recording of cash receipts requires the use of pre-numbered cash-receipts forms.  These forms are printed in triplicate and are available in booklets of 100 from Financial Management .

Internal Controls and Record Keeping

While departments need to handle cash transactions, they must also accept responsibility to administer these transactions with sufficient internal controls and to advise Financial Management that they are handling cash transactions.

Proper internal controls call for the separation of duties. This requires that different individuals be responsible for receiving and recording, depositing, and reconciling cash. Cash receipts must never be used for change, petty cash or to make refunds.

Submitting Cash Deposits

  1. Get a blank Cash Transmittal Form by:
    • Calling Student Accounts at 716-645-5761
    • Purchasing forms pre-printed for your department by contacting University Print Services at 716-829-3528
  2. Completely fill out a CashTransmittal Form

3.  Deliver the deposit to:

Office of Student Accounts
214 Crofts Hall, North Campus

Locked bags are required for transporting deposits through campus mail. If a locked bag is needed, email

Contact an Expert

Sean Gardner.

Sean Gardner

IFR, Revenue Accounting and Treasury Management

Financial Management

Phone: 716-645-2621


Related Forms, Training, Policies and Links