Managing Your Award

There are several things to keep in mind when managing a sponsored award. This list covers most of them and is a good place to start. We've organized the information into two general categories with the topics listed in the general order that you encounter them when managing your grant. To learn more, click on those topics of interest to you. 


Income Fund Reimbursable

Departments and units use Income Fund Reimbursable (IFR) appointments to charge award budgets for the efforts of any SUNY state personnel who are working on the project. The IFR process can document the efforts of the PI  and anyone else listed in the budget.

SPS will create an IFR form and load it into the business system for you so you can note the efforts. A copy of the completed form will then go to the PI and all appropriate deans.


UB's human resources office manages payroll operations, including the appointment of Research Foundation (RF) employees for your sponsored award.

If you have any questions regarding the electronic payroll systems or forms, please contact the RF Human Resources Office at (716) 645-7777 or at


Tuition for graduate students is an allowable charge on almost all sponsored awards. Please work with your department to fill out the following forms, which need to be completed prior to the start of fall semester. 

  1. Graduate Tuition Remission Form
  2. Grant Billing Form
  3. Request to Amend Tuition Remission

Upon completion of these forms:

  • Student Services will create invoices after the add/drop period.
  • SPS will receive the invoices and review them for allowability and adequate funds.
  • When approved, the invoices then move to Accounts Payable for processing payment.


If your award includes funding for a subaward to other entities, please work with your SPS administrator to establish these agreements. Your SPS administrator also will coordinate with UB's purchasing office to generate a purchase order for your subaward agreement.

Independent Contractors/Consultants

There are times when you need to contract with an expert. Please follow the next few steps to gain approval before the expert begins work.

For contractors / consultants whose W-9 lists their Social Security number*:

  1. Complete the Request for Advance Approval Form and submit it to your SPS Award Analyst.
  2. Include the contractor / consultant W-9 with this form. Link to IRS W-9 Form
  3. SPS will review and approve.
    • If you expect to pay $10,000 or less (over the life of the project) a Working Relationship Form is required to be completed by the Independent Contractor. 
    • If you expect to pay $10,000 or more (over the life of the contract) to a single expert, you will need to execute a complete contract for services as well as a Sole Source Justification form. Please review the checklist to begin.
  4. After contractor / consultant services are approved and have begun, you can start payment with the Payment for Independent Contractor Services form.  
    • Please include the corresponding contractor / consultant invoice(s) with each payment form you submit.
    • These forms and invoices are submitted to your SPS Award Analyst.

For contractors / consultants whose W-9 lists their Employer Identification Number (EIN), please initiate an eReq for their services.

*As outlined in the Data Risk Classification Policy, Category 1 Restricted Data, such as a Social Security number, cannot be transmitted through email. Please submit this information through a secure means.

Supplies, Equipment and Services

You can buy supplies for your awarded project in one of five ways:

PCard is preferred for purchasing business related items, excepting travel. The card functions like a credit card with a $2,500 limit. While PCards are issued to individuals, the university assumes the liability. The Pcardholder's personal credit history is not reviewed nor is his/her personal history affected by issuance of a card.

This web-based application allows any UB faculty or staff member to create an electronic requisition. Once created, the requisition is forwarded to the appropriate individual for departmental approval, then to the UB Purchasing Office for final processing and the creation of the purchase order.

Departments and service centers can transfer funds interdepartmentally to pay for goods or services provided by another unit on campus.

Subject - Reimbursement and Advances

For sponsored research involving human subjects, the option to compensate the subjects at the time of their visit is available.  The attached document provides guidance for the tracking of funds and documentation to be forwarded to Sponsored Projects Services.

  • 4/6/20
    A PI may request cash to pay human subjects or participants. The PI will is responsible to ensure that cash is appropriately distributed and practices are in place to prevent theft.
  • 4/6/20
    When Human Subjects are part of an award, this form is used to pay the subject for completed visits. The subject will be paid directly, the amounts are approved via the IRB process.

Cost Share

Cost sharing occurs when a portion of the project costs are borne by the university rather than the funding agency.

A separate award is set up to track your committed cost share. Based on the sponsor-approved budget, your award analyst will load personnel cost-share commitment, if applicable. If the cost sharing includes Other-Than-Personal-Services (OTPS), you will forward the expenditures to your Award Analyst for processing.

Grant Management

Cost Transfers

While every effort must be made to charge costs to the correct account when they are incurred, cost transfers are appropriate when their purpose is to correct posting or bookkeeping errors in the original charges.

Signing Authority

If you wish to delegate your signature authority to approve expenditures on your sponsored award, please email this request to your SPS Award Analyst.

To delegate authority for eReq/ePTF please access the RF Delegate Authorization System.

Electronic Payroll Review


The language for attestation has been updated in consideration of the impact of the COVID-19 public health emergency. When reviewing you must, as always, ensure that the payroll is appropriately reflective of both staff and faculty time worked, but also of time allowed based on policies adopted during the crisis.

As a recipient of Federal funding, the University at Buffalo (UB) is required to comply with Federal regulations. UB’s Payroll Review System is an after-the-fact review of payroll expenditures on awards. The Principal Investigator (PI) is responsible to review the payroll expenditures to ensure they are reflective of the actual work performed on the project during a specific reporting period. Using the RF Report Center (Report Center) Principal Investigator Dashboard or the RF Activity Interface Reporting Dashboard, the PI will verify that all payroll charges are on the award, including IFR, as well as review to determine if payroll is represented correctly. Incorrect payroll could include, but not limited to, missing payroll (including suspense), misallocated payroll, or changes in salary that is not reflected on the report. Timely response, within 60 days of notification, is required.

Please review the Electronic Payroll Review System guidance and instructions for additional information.

No Cost Extensions

If you have scientific reasons for continuing your project beyond the original term date of your sponsored award, please complete the No Cost Extension (NCE) form.

For grants awarded under the Federal Demonstration Project (FDP), your Sponsored Projects administrator can approve the first No Cost Extension without obtaining sponsor approval. This includes most federal awards (NIH, NSF, NASA, etc.).

For all other federal and non-federal awards, your SPS administrator will work with you in preparing a request to the sponsor.

Reporting Requirements

Reporting is a term of most sponsored awards and is typically included in the Notice of Award (NOA).  Each sponsor has different requirements, but it is typical for Technical/ Progress Reports to be required annually and at the completion of the project, though some sponsors may require more frequent submission of reports (e.g. Monthly or Quarterly). 

Reports must be submitted timely (before or by their due date) to avoid negative impact on payment for individual awards, future funding for the entire university, and damage to a PI’s and/or University’s reputation. University and project-specific audits encompass reporting compliance, so federal penalties and other consequences may result due to non-compliance.

Therefore, to ensure institutional compliance with sponsor terms, SPS has implemented a Technical Report Process for delinquent reports that includes an escalation process that can result in the PI’s funds being frozen until the delinquent report is submitted.

Please work with your SPS administrator regarding the required content and due dates.

Report Center Access

The Research Foundation for SUNY provides all PI's and departmental administrators with access to an online sponsored awards financial reporting tool known as the RF Report Center. This helpful tool can be accessed through the RF SUNY homepage.

To gain access to the RF Report Center, please complete the RF Report Center Access Request Form. Instructions to complete and submit this form can be found at Access Request Form Instructions.

For questions regarding access to the RF Report Center, please contact the UB RF campus security administrator at 645-6071.

Discovery, Intellectual Property and Invention

When you believe you have discovered a novel technology or developed useful new software, you need to contact Technology Transfer. They will help you determine your next steps.

Confidential Information or Material Transfer

To ensure your proprietary information is protected, Technology Transfer will assist with transfer of materials or information.

Tech Transfer negotiates and executes all confidential disclosure agreements (CDA) and material tranfer agreements (MTA). The transfer and sharing of materials for research purposes is consistent with UB's mission and its obligations to federal research sponsors.

  • Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDA) allow the exchange of secret or proprietary information in negotiating future sponsored research agreements, clinical trial agreements, research collaborations or license agreements and preserves intellectual property protection.
  • Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) terms define the permitted use of the materials, for example, non-commercial research use only, for a specific research project, and not in humans. MTA terms also protect the providing institution from any liability that might arise from the use of the materials by the recipient, and protect the research interests of the providing scientist.

Residual Balances

If your sponsored award is a fixed price award and is closing, the unspent direct cost balance may be able to be moved to a non-sponsored residual award.  If the unspent balance is 25% or greater of the total costs awarded, the Residual Balance Form must be completed and forwarded to your SPS Award Analyst.