Payments for equipment, supplies, sub-awards and contracts need
to be screened when going to persons, institutions, businesses and
organziations external to the university and outside the
United States. This prevents prohibited parties from receiving
money and helps protect against financial gain by an embargoed
Although accounts payable staffer generally screens
financial institutions, occasionally they will contact you or
the export control office with questions before
paying vendors, contractors or suppliers. In order to
minimize these situations, we encourage you to:
- Use suppliers that have incorporated in the U.S.
- Purchase through the U.S. branch of the company or institution.
- e.g., purchase through Oxford University Press USA
rather than the parent office in the United Kingdom.
- If you have questions or concerns, do a quick Internet search
on your prospective company combined with the words
“export control.” This should help turn up any news
stories about the company/person, including possible
- If there are violations, the U.S. Department of Commerce likely
has restricted them and we recommend you find another
- When you are traveling and not able to use the university
purchasing /payment system, pay with a credit card. It creates a
better payment trail and provides third party protection because
the credit card company and its financial institution will handle
the payments to a foreign entity.