Connecting Your Device to a Classroom Display
Learn how to connect your compatible device to the classroom display through VGA, HDMI, or the provided "Bring Your Own Device" (BYOD) Adapter Ring.
Operating System: Multiple
Applies To: UB instructors
Last Updated: August 14, 2020
VIDEO: Connecting Personal Devices to Teaching Stations
Arrange a Demo
Need help connecting your device? Planning to record a class with your device projecting? Call 716-645-3542 and request a demonstration or test.
Review Android Device Support
Newer model android phones with USB-C interfaces now send video. Please note not all USB-C android devices can send video and older android devices may not project properly, if at all.
Available Teaching Station Display Connections
HDMI cable (for video and audio) OR a combination of VGA (video) and 1/8" (audio) cable
BYOD Adapter Ring for devices without HDMI or VGA
Connection cables are either permanently attached to the Teaching Cabinet, available in the receptacle or stored near or hanging in the cabinet independently.
1. If you have:
- A Windows laptop with HDMI or VGA port: connect the VGA or HDMI adapter directly to the VGA or HDMI port on your laptop.
- Another type of device or laptop without VGA or HDMI port:
- Locate the correct adapter for your device on the BYOD Adapter Ring, attached to the HDMI cable.
- Insert the Teaching Station’s HDMI cable into the adapter.
- Insert the other end of the adapter into your device.
Note: Some adapters are very similar. Do not force an adapter into your device or you may break your device.
2. On the teaching station touchscreen, select Portable Device, then:
- HDMI for devices connected to the HDMI cable or adapter and HDMI cable.
- VGA for devices connected to the VGA cable
See a list of tested devices
Compatible devices for BYOD Adapter Ring:
- iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) with lightning connectors
- Surface tablets with mini display port connectors
- Apple laptops with mini display port connectors
- Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 Xl via USB-C connectors
Known incompatible devices:
- Kindle Fire
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- Nexus 5
- Some Android Devices
I plugged it in but my device isn't displaying. What do I do?
- All devices: Check the HDMI cable is properly attached to the device (and adapter if applicable).
- Windows laptops: Hold down the Fn function key and F5 or F8 key (or whichever function key has a screen icon for "display").
- Macintosh laptops: Go to System Preferences > Display > Detect Displays > Arrangement and select Mirror Displays.
My device is displaying but doesn't look correct?
Not all apps are able to rotate. Not all apps and devices display properly. If you experience problems, contact the UBIT Help Center.
If my course is being recorded, will content from my device be captured?
Some devices and apps have built-in restrictions which prevent content from being recorded. To ensure your course will be recorded properly when using your own device, contact Classroom Services at 716-645-3542 to schedule a one-on-one test beforehand.
Will my device charge while connected?
No. The adapters do not charge your device.