Register to Use Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Create an Amazon Account
Operating System: All
Applies To: UB students and faculty
Last Updated: March 24, 2016
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is for classroom use only by faculty and staff for teaching and learning purposes, and cannot be used for any production services or any other activity.
AWS Educate is a collection of cloud computing services that make up a cloud-computing platform offered by Amazon.com. UB is a registered participant, providing UB students and faculty with monthly credits.
1. Register to Use AWS
Faculty get $200 in free credit; Students get $100 in free credit. Any cost beyond that will be charged to a credit card you register with Amazon.
- Go to https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/apply and click:
- Apply for AWS Educate for Educators if you are a faculty member
- Apply for AWS Educate for Students if you are a student
- Begin filling in the application. Skip the AWS Account ID field. Be sure to use your buffalo.edu email address or you will not receive your credits. Do not click Next; Instead, click Sign Up Now underneath the AWS Account ID field.
2. Create an Amazon Account
- Enter your buffalo.edu email address.
- Select I am a new user and click Sign in using our secure server.
- Complete the registration form with your name, buffalo.edu email address, a password for your AWS account and the captcha, then click Create account.
3. Record Payment Method
If you exceed your credit, or if you choose an item not covered by credit, your credit card will be charged.
- Enter a credit card number, the cardholder's name and the contact email address to use, then click Continue.
- Enter a cell phone number and click Call Me Now.
- A PIN will be displayed. When you receive the call, enter the PIN.
- When you see the Identity Verification complete message, click Continue to select your support plan.
- Select Basic (Free) and click Continue. Support plans are not covered by credits.
4. Complete Registration
- Go to https://aws.amazon.com/educate, click Create Free Account, sign in with your buffalo.edu email address and the password you created, then click Sign in using our secure server.
- In the upper right corner, underneath your name, choose My Account.
- Under Account Settings, copy the account number.
- Return to https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/apply/ and enter the number in the AWS Account ID field. Make sure all other fields on the application are completed, then click Next.
- Check your buffalo.edu email for a verification code, then enter it, solve the captcha and click Next.
5. Add the Free Credit to Your Account
- Log in to your Amazon Account.
- Underneath your name in the upper right corner, choose My Account.
- On the left side choose Credits.
- Copy the Credit Code from your AWS Educate Application Approved email and paste it into the Promo Code box.
- Enter the captcha Security Check and click Redeem. The free credits have now been added to your account.
What if I don't have a credit card?
AWS does not provide any alternatives at this time when registering.
I can't remember my AWS password?
Go to https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/ and click Create A Free Account, then click Forgot Password.
I'm a staff member, am I eligible to participate?
Sorry, the program is limited to UB students and faculty.
If I don't use all my free usage, does it roll over?
Sorry, unused usage expires.
How cam I monitor my usage?
By logging into your Account Activity page, you can see current and past usage activity by service and region, and download usage reports.
Where can I learn more?