Requesting a Different UBITName
Operating System: All
Applies To: UB students, faculty, staff
Last Updated: May 14, 2018
Learn how to request a different UBITName.
Who Is Eligible
You are eligible to receive a different UBITName if any of these is true:
- You legally changed your name, and it has been processed by the appropriate UB administrative office and updated in the University Online Directory
- You can choose to use a name other than your legal name and note there are some areas where a legal name is mandatory.
- The automatically created UBITName is agreed to be obscene or offensive.
- You are newly appointed faculty or staff and the automatically created UBITName differs from your identity at a former institution or professional field, or is confusing to others.
See the UBITName Account Policy for more details about who may request a different UBITName.
See the Student Preferred Name Policy for more details about using a preferred name.
Step 1: Request a Different UBITName
- The reason you are requesting a different UBITName
- The UBITName you would like:
- 2-8 characters in length
- Cannot contain special characters (such as * or - or _)
- Cannot begin with a numeric character
Step 2: Activate Your New UBITName
If your request is approved, activate your UBITName and begin using it.
Step 3: Transition to Your New UBITName
Both your old and new UBITName will remain active for up to 30 days. During that time you must:
- Arrange for departmental changes
- Students: Notify your professors and department that your UBITName has changed
- Faculty and Staff: Notify your departmental IT Staff that you are changing your UBITName.
- Copy email messages, contacts and files from your old UBITName email mailbox, UBbox and UBfs space to your new UBITName email mailbox, UBbox and UBfs space. The old UBITName mailbox, UBbox and UBfs space will be deleted when your new UBITName is made permanent.
- Share your new email address with others.
- If you have access to HUB, log into HUB with your new UBITName after one business day to be sure you retain access under your new UBITName.
- If you are a member of a listserv email address, you must log into the listserv Web interface and subscribe to the listserv with your new UBITName before you unsubscribe your old UBITName.
Step 4: Make Your New UBITName Permanent
Send email to the UBIT Help Center from your new UBITName asking to remove your old UBITName and make your new UBITName permanent.
Once your request is processed, your old UBITName will be deleted and its remaining contents will no longer be accessible. Email sent to it will be returned to the sender as undeliverable.
If you do not request to make your new UBITName permanent within 30 days of it being created, your new UBITName may be deactivated. Contact the UBIT Help Center if you need additional time to transition to your new UBITName.
How do I change my information in the UB Online Directory?
Your UBITName and entry in the UB Online Directory are based on institutional data. If you had an offical name change:
The UB Online Directory does not currently allow for the use of a preferred name.
How can students have the name that appears on email changed?
- Legal name changes: Contact the the Office of the Registrar. Your name in email will update automatically once the change is processed by the Registrar's office.
- Preferred name changes: Use HUB to set your preferred name, then update your Send Mail As setting in Gmail.
How can faculty, staff or volunteers have the name that appears on email changed?
- Legal name changes: Contact UB Human Resources. Your name in email will update automatically once the change is processed by HR.
- Preferred name changes: Contact Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. Because HR systems do not yet have a preferred name field, some systems may not be able to be changed.
What if I have both Student status and TA/GA/Faculty status?
At this time, individuals who are students and also have an appointment with the university will only see their student name change. Students experiencing difficulty with their faculty, TA or GA name through Human Resources should contact UB’s Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion for resources and assistance.