Operating System: Windows, Mac, iOS and Android
Applies To: UB faculty, staff and students
Last Updated: August 21, 2020
Your instructor will provide links to recordings through UB Learns, a website, or email. Click the link and the Panopto viewer will automatically load your video in a new web browser tab.
There are 7 sections of the viewer.
- The information bar shows you the name of the session and also the Download icon to download a recording, if available, and the Help dropdown.
- The upper left panel displays the primary video, if available.
- The secondary video (screen capture and PowerPoint) is located on the left. Hover over either the secondary or primary panel and use the double arrow icon to flip the primary and secondary views or the full screen icon to make either panel full screen. Click ESC to return to the
- Below the secondary video is the player. Navigate through the video; change playback speed, turn on Closed Captions if they are available. Use the down arrow to hide/show thumbnails.
- Below the player are the timestamped thumbnails for navigation. These are only present if both primary and secondary sources are recorded
- Below the primary video is Search this recording. Search for any word spoken or shown on a slide.
- Below the Search field are Discussion, Notes, and Bookmarks. You may also see Contents or Captions if available.
The Panopto player lets you seek through your recording as well as allowing you to control what you see. The player has 9 actions that allow you to control how you view the recording.
- Starting from the left, the first control is the play/pause button, clicking this will pause or play the recording. You can also click any stream and it will pause or play the recording.
- Next is the skip back button. This button will rewind 10 seconds and play from there.
- The next part of the player is the progress bar. This lets you know where you are at viewing the recording. You can drag the indicator to quickly seek to a specific point in the recording.
- Next is volume control which adjusts the audio level, in conjunction with your computer’s volume. Click on the speaker button to bring up the slider.
- The CC button reveals closed captions, if available. Click the More button (3 dots ) to choose the size color and position of the captions
- The Speed button allows you to control the speed of the video playback, from .5x up to 2x
- The Quality button lets you choose your streaming quality. If you experience buffering, try a different quality setting.
- If there are multiple secondary streams you will see the stream pickers (Slides and Screen) to choose which one is displayed.
- The down arrow button allows you to hide or show the thumbnails.
Check out Panopto’s troubleshooting guide and make sure your device meets the viewing requirements.
Use the Speed button in the Panopto viewer to control the speed of the video playback, from half-speed (.5x) up to twice the speed (2x).
Yes. Mobile phones will show the podcast version of a recording while tablets will give you a more interactive experience. Check out Panopto’s instructions for your mobile device:
Live stream is available on mobile devices. You may only see the primary camera and audio.