BUFFALO, N.Y. — The University at Buffalo Center for Industrial Effectiveness (TCIE) is offering early-bird discounts until Aug. 28 for four upcoming professional education programs.
The savings include $800 off Certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Transactional (CLSSBBT) and $100 off Certified Lean Professional (CLP), as well as additional discounts on Finance for Non-Financial Managers, and Lean Product Design Workshop.
The courses are part of TCIE’s fall inventory of open-enrollment business improvement courses for professionals, which range from half-day seminars to the 9-month CLSSBBT. Registration is on a first-serve basis, with the deadline being one week before the respective start date.
- CLSSBBT — This 134-hour blended learning course consists primarily of online education, enhanced by classroom-based discussion and project review sessions. Candidates acquire enhanced problem-solving skills and an advanced mastery of Six Sigma’s industry-tested system for process variation reduction. The schedule for in-class dates – held at UB’s Baird Research Park, 1576 Sweet Home Road, Amherst – is as follows:
Half-day classes: 8 a.m.-noon on Sept. 23, Oct. 1, Dec. 3, Jan. 7
Full-day classes: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sept. 30, Nov. 4 and 5, Dec. 2, Jan. 6, Feb. 3
Project review sessions: 8-10 a.m. on Oct. 21, Nov. 18, Dec. 16, Jan. 13, March 2 and 16, April 6, May 4 and 18, June 15
Exam review session: 8-10 a.m. on Feb. 10
The cost is $4,995 until Aug. 28 and $5,795 thereafter.
- CLP — This 33-hour course educates participants in the Lean method of saving money and reducing waste by identifying unnecessary processes. Classes are held at Baird Research Park as follows:
Classes: 6-9 p.m. on Thursdays, Sept. 26 to Dec. 19 (except Oct. 31 and Nov. 28) and Tuesday, Oct. 29
Project review sessions: Feb. 4 and 11 (each participant has one 30-minute, one-on-one project review session with the instructor on one of the two dates)
The cost is $1,295 until Aug. 28 and $1,395 thereafter.
- MinitabTM Software Training — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Oct. 8 at Baird Research Park. This training navigates participants through the statistical tools of Minitab software so that they may comfortably manipulate data and solve problems. The cost is $395.
- Value Stream Mapping — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Oct. 9 at Baird Research Park. This course introduces a diagnostic tool for identifying and quantifying waste in a process, and the first step in the journey to determining the root cause of a problem. The cost is $395.
- Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Oct. 17 at UB’s Center for Tomorrow, North Campus, Amherst. This course provides an understanding of the processes and techniques for determining the root cause of a nonconformance and the corrective action needed to prevent the problem from recurring. The cost is $295.
- 3-Day ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditor Training — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Oct. 22-24 at the Center for Tomorrow. This training prepares participants with the skills necessary to perform internal process audits in manufacturing, service and public service sectors. The cost is $1,095.
- Intro to FMEA — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Oct. 30 at the Center for Tomorrow. This course is recommended for design and manufacturing engineers who are involved in the product development process and want to learn how to avoid potential failures in design. The cost is $395.
- 5S and Standardized Work — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Nov. 6 at Baird Research Park. This course examines the appropriate way to engage employees in 5S (organizing the physical space) and standardized work (organizing how work is done), so they grasp how these tools can make their work lives easier while improving the company. The cost is $395.
- Creating and Controlling Instructional Documents — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Nov. 13 at the Center for Tomorrow. This course explores characteristics of effective instructional documentation (such as procedures, work instructions and standard operating procedures) and the process of document control. The cost is $395.
- Finance for Non-Financial Managers — 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Nov. 19 at Baird Research Park. This course is for the manager or engineer who does not possess a significant financial background, but whose performance would improve with a better understanding of departmental monthly financial reports and the transactional origins behind the numbers. The cost is $495 until Aug. 28 and $595 thereafter.
- Statistical Process Control – 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Dec. 4 at Baird Research Park. This course explores a method used in monitoring and controlling the quality of a process through statistical analysis to reduce variation. The cost is $395.
- Lean Product Design Workshop – 8 a.m.-noon on Dec. 11 at Baird Research Park. This workshop engages participants in a hands-on simulation to discover how applying the Lean methodology to product design decreases cycle time. The cost is $295 until Aug. 28 and $395 thereafter.
For more information, contact Mariah Glass, UB TCIE training program coordinator, at 716-645-8840 or email@example.com.
UB TCIE leverages assets of the UB School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) to improve the operations of external business and industry partners, and meet critical and emerging workforce needs. It resolves a wide spectrum of corporate challenges through technical assistance, OpEx/continuous improvement consultation, and professional education. For more information on how TCIE can assist Western New York businesses, visit buffalo.edu/tcie or call 716-645-8800.