Information for Faculty, Staff, Students

Working with Vendors

A detail photo of a group of students outdoors, all wearing bright blue UB backpacks.

Any use of the University at Buffalo name, logos or trademarks by all campus departments and student groups must have prior approval from the UB Trademarks and Licensing office. Failure to do so could hinder final vendor fulfillment of your products and/or delays in vendor reimbursements. Use of trademarks without prior approval that is deemed inappropriate or incorrect may subject items to confiscation from the Trademark and Licensing office.

A detail photo of a blue and clear ruler with a calculator in it.

Whenever possible, please use collegiate licensed vendors. They're very knowledgeable about our brand requirements, have access to UB’s artwork as well as maintain proper liability insurance to protect the university in case of product failure. They're also more likely to provide you with better pricing - Ask for a discount or price match!  Official collegiate licensed vendors are the only companies allowed to produce retail items (fundraising and "sold at cost" items are considered retail).

How do I find a collegiate licensed vendor?

What if I need to use an unlicensed vendor?

You can use an unlicensed vendor as long as the product you are ordering is not available from a collegiate licensed vendor and your chosen vendor hasn't received an order from the university within the calendar year you want to place the order in (excluding retail or fundraising items that can only be ordered from an official collegiate licensed vendor).

If you want to purchase an item from an unlicensed company, please check first with the Trademarks and Licensing Program manager to see if the vendor has already accepted an order from any other UB department or office within the calendar year. You can contact the Trademarks and Licensing program manager, Cynthia Todd, at 716-645-4585 or by email

If the unlicensed vendor has accepted an order within the calendar year, you cannot place an order with that vendor until the next calendar year. If the vendor has not received a UB order within the calendar year, you can place a one-time order with them. You cannot, however, place an additional order with the unlicensed vendor for the remainder of the calendar year. Your purchase with the company would be under a single-order license, which is used for orders that are unique and/or too infrequent to warrant a full license. A single-order license is only issued to items that are royalty exempt.

Keep in mind that if you choose to use an unlicensed vendor, you cannot place another order with that company for the full calendar year, even if it’s an exact reprint with no changes. And if another campus department places an order with the vendor after the calendar year but before you do, you will have to find another source or vendor for your custom product.

How do I obtain UB’s trademark approval?

To obtain the university’s trademark approval, campus departments, organizations and groups must complete and submit a campus trademark request.

I’ve found a vendor to produce my product. What do I do next?

You must now choose how you want your custom imprint to appear on your product.

Follow these steps:

  1. To understand what you can do with each logo/trademark, review UB logo guidelines in the Communications Toolbox.
  2. Review the prohibited items/usage list.
  3. Download the appropriate logo.
  4. Before you place your order, complete the Campus Trademark Form (see above) and submit it and your design to the Division of University Communications: Trademarks and Licensing Program.

Your request will be returned to you and the licensed vendor you have selected so that you can proceed with production.