Adding an F-2 Dependent

Some F-1 students wish to bring their spouse and/or children to the U.S.  Find out what you need to do to obtain F-2 I-20's for your dependents.

Required Documents for F-2 I-20's for Your Dependents

In order to obtain I-20's for your dependents, you will need to sumbit the documents below to ISS on myISSS. We will then create a new I-20 for you (indicating that you have dependents) and F-2 I-20's for your dependents. 

  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if adding a spouse) or birth certificate (if adding a child).  If this document is not in English, it must be translated by a certified translator.
  • Copy of the biographic page of each dependent’s passport.
  • Financial documents.  These documents must show that you can financially support yourself and your dependents in the U.S.  Please review our financial documents requirements
    • ISS will calculate the total amount of financial support that you must document for adding dependents depending upon the number of credit hours you need to complete your program and the number of months / semesters you require to finish your program. To receive the financial estimate for adding an F-2 dependent, follow the instructions below and submit the first e-form in myISSS.
  •  Proof of full-time course registration for enrolled students. You must be registered full-time or have Full-time Certification from the Graduate School or an approved Reduced Course Load from ISS to be eligible to add a dependent. 
    • If your Assistantship is not yet reflected in your HUB Student Center or you have not applied for a Reduced Course Load for a future semester, we must calculate your estimated expenses at 12+ credits.

Application Process

  1. Log in to myISSS by clicking the blue “LOGIN” button. Enter your UBIT Name and Password. 
    • Do NOT click on “Administrative Services for University Departments”.
  2. Click on “F-1 Student Services” and then “Adding an F-2 Dependent”.
  3. There are three e-forms in this group. The first two e-forms must be complete before your request to add any F-2 dependents will be reviewed by an International Student Advisor. The third e-form should be completed once your dependent is in the U.S. using their F-2 status.
    • Step 1 is the e-form titled "Adding an F-2 Dependent". You are required to upload your dependent's biographic page of their passport and either a marriage or birth certificate (depending on the relationship) in this e-form. You will also answer questions related to your academic and financial situation. After completing this e-form, ISS will send you an estimate of how much financial support you need to show. ISS processing time for this e-form is 3 business days.
    • Step 2 is the e-form titled "Financial Documentation for F-2 Dependents".  In this e-form you will be asked to upload your financial documents. You cannot begin this e-form until ISS has approved your first e-form and sent you an email asking for financial documentation.
    • Step 3 is the e-form titled "F-2 Immigration Documents". Once your dependent receives an F-2 visa and enters the U.S. as an F-2 or receives the change-of-status approval notice by mail you must provide copies of their immigration documents to ISS using the Step 3 e-form.
  4. After submitting Step 2, an International Student Advisor will review your request. Provided we have complete documentation, you will be issued a new I-20 indicating that you have dependents and F-2 I-20's for your dependents. Processing time is 5-7 business days from the date you submitted the Step 2 e-form.

Important Reminders

If your dependent will change their immigration status in the U.S., then you and your dependent should be sure you understand the Change of Status process. If after reveiwing the information you would like to meet with an International Student Advisor to discuss the change-of-status application process please contact our office to schedule an appointment.  Please be sure to inform us if your dependent is already in the U.S. 

Once your dependent receives an F-2 visa and enters the U.S. as an F-2 or receives the change-of-status approval notice by mail, you must submit copies of their immigration documents (I-20, passport, F-2 visa and I-94 or change-of-status approval notice) to ISS using the Step 3: F-2 Immigration Documents e-form on myISSS.

Please keep your new I-20 and all of your previous I-20’s.  Do not throw away your old I-20’s as they are an important piece of your immigration history!