The Sustainable Living Committee seeks to cultivate and support a culture of sustainability at work, at home and in the community by coordinating educational programs, tours, initiatives and events. Through shared experiences that focus on building knowledge, skills and experience, the committee works to empower staff, faculty and students to integrate sustainability into their everyday mindset and behaviors. The committee is open to anyone with a personal and/or professional interest in sustainability, and there’s something for everyone—whether a seasoned environmentalist or someone new to being green. We meet monthly and strive to coordinate 2 to 3 signature events/projects each semester.
Recent initiatives include:
- Electronics and clothing recycling event. Held April 27, 2017 in the Center for Tomorrow parking lot, all UB affiliates bring personal electronic and clothing items for recycling
- The annual sustainability fair, which provides an opportunity to learn from more than 30 local sustainability and environmental organizations in WNY, and showcases a selection of local food producers as part of the Pride of NY Program supported by UB Campus Dining & Shops.
- Greening the Commons: With support from the PSS Sustainable Living Committee, a coalition of students, faculty and staff has organized a campaign to encourage the UB Commons to eliminate the use of Styrofoam and to implement recycling and other sustainability measures.
- Campus sustainability tours and informative lectures that seek to educate staff about UB’s sustainability initiatives and operations along with important regional and national sustainability challenges and solutions.
The committee’s specific goals include:
- Sharing governance and influencing UB to consider sustainability in decision-making; making mindful and conscious decisions about living and working sustainably.
- Demonstrating and educating staff, faculty and students about the definition and importance of sustainability in the areas of transportation, consumer choices, agriculture, energy consumption, buying local, wildlife, natural resources, ecology. While also working to expand people’s understanding that sustainability goes beyond environmental issues and extends to topics such as local purchasing, human rights, community service, increasing economic vitality, resource efficiency, wellness, healthy food access for all, and environmental justice.
- Advocating sustainability practices among the UB community and its partners.
The Sustainable Living Committee organizes the annual Sustainable Living Fair and provides continuing opportunities to learn about and practice sustainability.
Chair: Don Erb
Vice Chair: Janiece Jankowski
Current Members: Donna Banach, Donna Czaja, Fran Fiscus, Sara Goodman, Jim Gordon, David Hill, Hugh Jarvis, Kenneth Kern, Ray Kohl, Douglas Levere, Domenic Licata, Leslie McCain, Michael McManaman, Michael McQuade, Erin Moscati, Todd Nibbe, Derek Nichols, Matthew Reitmeier, Christine Stumm, Timothy Tryjankowski