The University at Buffalo is committed to protecting visitor’s privacy when navigating through official University at Buffalo websites and associated third-party web applications. Visitors navigate through a majority of official UB websites and associated third-party web applications without providing personal information. However, the university implements operational practices to enhance the ease and efficiency with which visitors interact with official UB websites and associated third-party web applications. To that end:
- UB collects information for purposes including, but not limited to providing requested services and analyzing web traffic
- UB collects voluntarily-provided information, which may include personal information; this information is collected through processes including, but not limited to sending an email; filling out a webform, survey, or application; or completing a financial transaction
This policy is consistent with federal and state laws, rules and regulations, policies and procedures of the State University of New York (SUNY). This policy is consistent with the provisions of the Internet Security and Privacy Act, the New York State Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and the Personal Privacy Protection Law.
The policy was updated to:
- Revise the policy statement to confirm the university’s commitment to protecting visitor privacy when navigating through official UB websites and associated third-party web applications
- Add information about tracking codes or beacons
- Revise the retention of automated log data from 180 days to a minimum of 92 days
- Add the Background section
- Revise the Applicability section to specify that the policy:
- Applies to visitors navigating official UB websites and associated third-party web applications
- Excludes mobile applications
- Add definitions for Cookies, Official University at Buffalo Websites, Third-Party Web Applications, Tracking Codes or Beacons, and Visitor
- Delete the definition of User
- Add the Responsibility section and specify responsibilities for Enrollment Management, Privacy Compliance Officer, University Communications, Procurement, Visitors, and the Vice President and Chief Information Officer
This policy applies to visitors navigating official University at Buffalo websites and associated third-party web applications. This policy does not apply to mobile applications.