Fieldwork, Internships & Study Abroad

Screening at Corvie Bay, Kiska Island, Alaska.  Photo: Caroline Funk.

Explorers wanted!

Experiential learning is the process through which students engage with anthropology outside of the classroom setting. By participating in experiential learning opportunities, students create community, gain practical skills, and participate in activities that enhance their undergraduate experience.

Whether they continue with anthropology or try something entirely different, the anthropology department’s experiential learning programs provide students with an excellent basis to further their life opportunities outside of the university setting.

On this page:

Internships and Volunteer Experiences

Keep in mind that many internships and field schools have application deadlines, so make sure to regularly check program websites to plan your experience accordingly. To receive academic credit, it is recommended you contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies before participating in these activities. 

Note: The University at Buffalo Department of Anthropology does not endorse or otherwise support the internships and field experiences available here. This list is provided for informational purposes only.

Field Schools

Did You Know?

The Department of Anthropology and the College of Arts and Sciences offer funding for experiential learning opportunities? Consider applying for the Phyllis Hartrich Memorial Award, the CAS Experiential Learning Fund, or the Walker Family Experiential Learning Fund.

Study Abroad

Take part in a study abroad experience to fully immerse yourself in cross-cultural exchanges to prepare for the increasingly global world.  Visit the UB Study Abroad webpage to find out which program is best suited for you.

Study abroad courses are commonly graded S/U on the student’s record but major credit is earned. To earn major credit for your experience:

  • You are encouraged to consult with the Director of Undergraduate Studies prior to departing for a study abroad program.  A meeting should address how this experience may affect your academic progress and if the courses taken during the study abroad program are eligible for major credit.
  • After returning from the program, you should submit a Petition Form and the syllabi for each course taken during the program for review and awarding of department credit.

Independent Research

Did you discover a topic that piqued your interest during a course and you want to investigate it further?  Conducting an independent study is a great opportunity to further delve into your interests while receiving guidance and mentorship from faculty.

Students receive academic credit for their research by registering for APY 499 Independent Study and Research.

University Resources