Learn how to request an "LDAP group" be created or edited. LDAP
groups are used to define sets of people who can view pages in the
UB Content Management System via Authenticated
Published Pages, or who can edit or view pages in the Central
Campus Web Server (Wings).
Operating System: Any
Applies To: UBCMS or Wings Website Managers / Site
Last Reviewed: March 23, 2016
Completing the Form
- Brief Summary: specify "LDAP group adjustment"
- Requested on Behalf of Name: your name
- Requested on Behalf of UBITName: your UBITName
- Preferred Contact phone number: your office number
- Service or Machine Name: specific Accounts
- Description: state "create new LDAP
group", or "change existing LDAP group"
- clearly state the existing or prefered LDAP group name
- clearly state adjustments; e.g.
- ADD John Doe (jdoe)
- REMOVE John Doe (jdoe)
Tips for LDAP Group Names
- Frequently LDAP group names have a 2-3 character prefix, plus a
hyphen, then a longer string of characters.
- e.g. uw-provost
- Best practice is to limit length to 16 characters overall.
(Shorter names are generally safer.)
- We do not enforce character restrictions on group names.
- Lower case is strongly advised but mixed case or caps are
- Special characters are allowed but should be limited to "-" and
- No group name should begin or end with a special
UBIT protects 2-3 character prefixes that also happen to be
entity abbreviations. For example, the Office of University
Communications has an entity abbreviation of ucc, so
ucc- would be reserved for their use.