Release Date: May 26, 2004
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Graduates in biomedical sciences programs at the University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences received awards during a special commencement ceremony held earlier this month.
The University at Buffalo is a premier research-intensive public university, the largest and most comprehensive campus in the State University of New York system. UB's more than 26,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students pursue their academic interests through more than 100 undergraduate programs, 112 master's programs and 98 doctoral-level programs.
The award recipients were:
• Sudha Chakrapani of Madras, India, First Prize, The Dean's Award for Outstanding Dissertation Research recognizing excellence in research by a Ph.D. candidate in the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, and the Dr. Herbert Schuel Commemorative Award for Best Doctoral Dissertation in Cell and Developmental Biology recognizing a Ph.D. student whose research follows the same high standards exemplified by UB faculty member Herbert Schuel
• Anna L. Seibert of Amherst, The Biochemistry Dissertation Research Recognition Award honoring national or international recognition of dissertation research and being selected for oral presentation at a major national or international meeting, and honorable mention, The Dean's Award for Outstanding Dissertation Research recognizing excellence in research by a Ph.D. candidate in the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
• Kristin Kee of Grand Island, Roswell Park Cancer Institute Award for Excellence in Research recognizing doctoral graduates of the Graduate Division at Roswell Park Cancer Institute who posses an outstanding academic history, publication record and dissertation abstract
Eight undergraduate students also were honored for maintaining a high level of academic performance throughout their undergraduate careers, as well as involvement in the campus community and external organizations.
The students and their degree programs:
• Shirin Mashhoon of Buffalo, Biochemical Pharmacology
• Chee Ho Tan of Buffalo, Biochemistry
• Andrew Baschnagel of Lockport, Biophysical Sciences
• Elizabeth Lagowski of Williamsville, Biotechnology
• Kristen Wright of Clarence, Medical Technology
• Suzanne Karzoun of Depew, Nuclear Medicine Technology
• Ajay Panchal of East Amherst, Special Major in Biomedical Sciences
• Narasimhachar Prativadi of Getzville, Special Major in Biomedical Sciences