BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The University at Buffalo will celebrate the
scholarly, research and creative achievements of outstanding
students on Thursday, April 5 at the eighth annual Celebration of
Student Academic Excellence.
The event opens at 1 p.m. with UB's Sigma Xi Graduate Research
Day and Poster Competition by graduate students in the Mainstage
Theatre of the Center for the Arts (CFA) on UB's North Campus.
At 1:30 p.m., more than 100 posters by undergraduates will be
displayed in the CFA atrium, and the students will be available for
The posters will illustrate student work from a wide range of
- College students' perception of hydraulic fracturing
- The effect of cognitive and interpersonal stressors on
- The effect of overprotective parenting on shy adolescents
- Characterizing the ability of new carbon-carbon composites to
withstand high temperatures
- The evolutionary history of blood-feeding parasites and their
- Characterizing Parkinson's disease proteins
- Second language acquisition and social identity of
- Russian entrepreneurial identity
At 2:40 p.m., students will be presented ribbons for outstanding
research, scholarship and creativity.
A celebration ceremony, hosted by President Satish K. Tripathi
and Interim Provost Bruce D. McCombe, will begin at 3:30 p.m. in
the Drama Theatre, also in CFA.
During the ceremony, students who are nominees and recipients of
various national, SUNY and UB awards, among them nationally
competitive scholarships and fellowships, the SUNY Chancellor's
Awards for Student Excellence and the UB Graduate Student
Excellence in Teaching Awards, will be recognized.
In addition, recipients of the UB Faculty Award for Excellence
in Mentoring Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity will be
Press arrangements: Charlotte Hsu in the UB Office of
University Communications at 645-4655 and onsite at