Date Established: Unknown
Date Last Revised: 4/27/2016
Human Resources and Financial
Human Resources and Business Services
Vice President for Finance and Administration
Reimbursement checks, payroll checks, and direct deposit advices that cannot be delivered because a department cannot locate the employee must be returned to the appropriate business office within the required time period.
The University at Buffalo (UB, university) requires departments to make a good faith effort to deliver reimbursement checks, pay checks, and direct deposit advices to employees. Checks or direct deposit advices that cannot be delivered because the department cannot locate the employee must be returned to the appropriate business office.
|Unclaimed Check or |
Direct Deposit Advice
|Return to |
|Return Timeframe |
|Payroll - |
State and RF
|Human Resources||Two weeks|
|Travel Reimbursement - |
State and RF
|All Other Reimbursement Checks: |
State - under $250
State - over $250
RF - Non-sponsored
RF - Sponsored
|Return unclaimed checks to Human Resources |
if the appropriate business office cannot be identified.
The University at Buffalo is subject to New York State (NYS) Abandoned Property Laws (Chapter 62, Part P of the Laws of 2003; Section 102 of the State Finance Law; and Section 1315) requiring that unclaimed funds be remitted to the NYS Abandoned Property Fund after the dormancy period. The dormancy period is one year for state checks and three years for Research Foundation (RF) checks.
This policy applies to state and RF payroll and reimbursement checks and direct deposit advices that cannot be delivered because the employee cannot be located.
Honest intent to act without taking an unfair advantage over another person.
Check held by a university department for issuance or delivery to the payee, including checks mailed to a payee that were returned to the university.
|Sponsored Projects Services||716-645-2634|
All Payroll Checks and Direct Deposit Advices
• If, after thirty days, a check cannot be delivered to the employee, Human Resources will forward NYS payroll checks to the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance, Division of Treasury along with an Undeliverable Payroll Check Report (Form AC2714).
• NYS checks will be held by the NYS Department of Tax and Finance, Division of the Treasury for three months and then destroyed. Checks returned to the Division of the Treasury can be replaced for up to one year, upon request. To request a NYS payroll replacement check, call Human Resources.
• After the one year waiting period, state pay checks are deposited into the NYS Abandoned Property Fund. Claims for these funds must be directed to the Office of the State Comptroller, Office of Unclaimed Funds.
• State direct deposit advices will be held by Human Resources for thirty days and if not claimed by the employee, will be destroyed in a safe and secure manner.
• Research Foundation pay checks are valid for 120 days from the date of issuance. After 120 days, Human Resources will send a stale-dated check letter to the employee. If the letter is returned as undeliverable, it is retained as evidence of abandoned property.
• After a three year waiting period, RF pay checks are deposited into the NYS Abandoned Property Fund. Claims for these funds must be directed to the Office of the State Comptroller, Office of Unclaimed Funds.
All Travel and Other Reimbursement Checks
|April 2016||Full review. Revised to include state travel and other reimbursement checks and RF payroll, travel, and other reimbursement checks.|