This scholarship is made possible through the generous gift of Claude E. Welch, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor, and Jeannette Ludwig, Associate Professor of Romance Languages and Literatures at the University at Buffalo. Based on available funds, a limited number of partial scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to assist students with the costs of study abroad for an academic year, semester, summer, or winter program.
Preference will be given to:
- First-time study abroad participants
- Students with documented financial need (as confirmed by UB Financial Aid Office)
- Students maintaining a GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Students who have selected a study abroad program relevant to their current academic program
- Students who will return to UB for at least one semester following their study abroad program
Powered by AcademicWorks, you will see a searchable database that streamlines hundreds of scholarships, matches you with best-fit opportunities and recommends opportunities based on your profile.
- Log in to www.buffalo.academicworks.com using your UBIT name and password.
- Fill out the general application and answer the study abroad-specific questions. It is important to search for scholarship opportunities based on the specific term (i.e. Winter 2023, Spring 2024, etc.).
- Upon completion of the application, the system should indicate that you are eligible for a UB Office of Internatonal Education Scholarship. This will help indicate that you have successfully completed your scholarship application. This general name includes all of the specific individual Office of International Education scholarships (i.e. Stephen C. Dunnett Study Abroad Scholarship, UB Diversity Scholarship, and Welch-Ludwig Fund for International Study) available. The system will automatically add your application information to each scholarship for which you are qualified, but you will not see the actual list of scholarships.
- Scholarship awardees will be notified of their awards approximately two (2) weeks after the scholarship deadline. Only scholarship awardees will be notified through the AcademicWorks system.
Completed applications are due by March 1 for summer, fall, or academic year programs and October 1 for winter or spring programs abroad.