The University at Buffalo is a diverse, inclusive scholarly community dedicated to bringing the benefits of our research, scholarship, creative activities and educational excellence to local and global communities in ways that impact and positively change the world.
We view the three traditional pillars of the public higher education mission—research, education and service—as interdependent endeavors that continually enrich and inform each other. Groundbreaking research, transformative educational experiences and deeply engaged service to our communities define the University at Buffalo’s mission as a premier, research-intensive public university.
Building on the existing strong foundation of academic excellence, knowledge and understanding, the University at Buffalo will advance into the nation's Top 25 public research universities, thereby expanding the scope of our reach and strengthening UB's world-wide impact.
To achieve greater societal impact locally and globally by:
- Enhancing faculty productivity and impact through increased research and scholarly funding and excellence
- Encouraging collaborations across the disciplines to amplify faculty strengths, create synergies and pursue innovation
- Providing state-of-the-art research environments
- Enhancing research, teaching and mentoring support structures to ensure faculty success
To provide our students with transformative, innovative and research-grounded educational experiences by:
- Elevating the academic profile of undergraduate, graduate and professional students; further improving undergraduate four-year and six-year graduation rates
- Enhancing academic and career support structures to ensure student success
- Providing state-of-the-art educational environments
- Expanding impact as a recognized leader in international education
- Preparing students to live and lead in a global world
To promote a university-wide culture of equity and inclusion by:
- Integrating inclusivity into all aspects of our university
- Further enhancing faculty and student diversity through focused hiring and enrollment strategies
- Implementing best practices with regard to recruitment and retention of faculty, students and staff
To deepen our engagement in the regional community by:
- Further partnering with our local community to enrich the student experience and contribute to the social, cultural and economic vitality of Western New York
- Improve health care outcomes for the region
- Become a national destination for clinical care and medical/health sciences education