The Graduate Student Caucus (GSC) provides a number of travel awards to graduate students ranging from $110 to $400 depending on the number and strength of applications. The awards are open to any graduate student (including international students) who has been accepted to present or chair a session at the Annual Convention.
Evaluation is based on:
- the quality of the student’s abstract
- the quality of the accompanying statement
- the relevance of their topic in their respective fields. The argument should be well-articulated and understandable to someone outside the field.
Applicants must email the following between October 15 and December 1 to email@example.com:
- the accepted abstract and its title (if the abstract is in a foreign language, please submit BOTH the abstract in the original language and an English translation)
- a statement of no more than 250 words describing the presentation's contribution to the research field
Applications not following the guidelines will not be considered. The decisions of the GSC Travel Awards Committee are final.
Students can expect to hear from the GSC by early December. GSC Travel Awardees may only receive one travel award, and may not be the recipient of any other travel award for the same conference.
- Checks are made out to the Travel Awardee only and can only be retrieved by the awardee
- Any bank fees are the responsibility of the award recipient
- Travel Awardees must pick up their award checks in person at the NeMLA convention annual GSC Business Meeting (held at 6pm on Thursday evening) or at the GSC table in the Exhibit Hall before Sunday midday.
- Unclaimed travel awards cannot be mailed, sent as a wire transfer, or retrieved after the end of the convention
CAITY travel awards are open to contingent faculty, adjunct instructors, independent scholars, and two-year college faculty who have been accepted to present a paper as part of a traditional panel or seminar at NeMLA's Annual Convention.
- This stipend is for people who have had a paper presentation accepted to a panel only. C.A.I.T.Y. travel awards are not meant for panel chairs or for participants of creative sessions or roundtables.
- Applicants must choose to apply for either the C.A.I.T.Y Caucus Travel Award or the Graduate Student Caucus Award.
- The recipients of this stipend are selected on merit.
- All applications must be emailed as attachments (.doc. or .docx files only) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This year's application period will close on January 7 and recipients will be notified soon after.
- Full Name
- Institutional Affiliation(s)
- Professional Status (mark “X” next to the appropriate category; if you are unsure, please email us at email@example.com)
- Contingent (Full-time faculty with a contract that may be renewed after a set period of time, such as non-tenure track Lecturers, Visiting Assistant Professors, or Post-Doctoral Fellows)
- Adjunct (Part-time faculty with a contract that may be renewed)
- Independent Scholar (Scholar with no current institutional affiliation)
- Two-Year Faculty (Part- or Full-Time faculty with or without tenure at a community college
- Other Equivalent Title: _________________
- Email Address
- Mailing Address
- Estimated Total Cost to Attend Conference
- Estimated Amount of Assistance from Other Sources
- Panel Title
- Abstract Title
- Abstract (300 words maximum)
NeMLA is sponsoring a special graduate student travel award in memory of Antonio Cao, member of the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures at Hofstra University, a passionate scholar, and an invaluable and loyal member of NeMLA.
To honor Dr. Cao’s memory and his unwavering support of students, this prize will be awarded to a graduate student who is presenting on any aspect of Spanish culture or literature at our annual convention.
Criteria and Application
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 10.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of:
- the quality of the student’s abstract
- the relevance of their topic to Spanish studies
- the funds available from the student’s institution
- and the travel distance to the Convention
Please include all such information in the application.